Help with a sick hen, I've seen something mentioned here before....

orangecatrex

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
If someone could point me in the right direction, or just tell me the inevitable is forthcoming.

My hen has had a dirty vent for some days, it started out looking like egg was coming out. I've had a snake problem so at first thought she may have set on a soft egg. (I have 1 hen out 18 that lays really thin eggs) Today i picked her up to inspect and see if i could wash her back side off, it was thick but no longer yellow. When i picked her up she was unusually soft around her 'abdomin'.
She has stayed away from the rest of the flock, and today when i rounded up the flock she was the last to go in, when she ran thru the barn she seem to be squatting or bow-legged, for lack of a better description.
Any Ideas, and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

look up internal laying...sounds like it to me...
sad.png

Do a search for "egg bound" in this forum. There are a lot of threads discussing it. I've not had the problem yet (hopefully never will!), but I know help involves warm baths to relax your girl, olive oil around and in the vent to help lubricate it, and gentle massaging. Good luck!

Thanks to all of you have chimed in. I read up on everything i could find here on egg bound conditions. I started with the warm bath last night and with the outside temps being well into the hi 80's at night i figured ouside in her own pen would be best to help keep her warm and get her drier faster. I noticed this morning that is appears a few people are having the same problem.
Is this a heat related thing?

Anyway I didn't feel the egg and during the 30 minute bath/soak i too noticed she had a protruding vent (like the outie belly button) and when i tried to feel inside, i could get beyond the first digit of my small finger. I work full time so no time to bathe her numerous times during the day. She doesn't seem to be eating and nothing was expelled during the bath last nite, however this morning she looked bright eyed and doing "ok". If anyone has any other info. What if she isn't egg bound and possibly laying to the inside? Is this correctible? or is she gonna pass? I will keep up the first aid as long as she shows improvement. I do not have a vet that treats small farm animals. Here in Texas if it's not cattle the vets laugh at you. Sad on their behalf. But i'm sure chickens are not the normal when it comes to "pets".

I saw several pics that pointed me in the direction of what i needed to do. Thank you all again. I will continue to monitor this link in case someone has anything else. Tonite i will try the KY jelly thing and see if i can feel anything inside her. Wish me luck. I'm not good with the thought of putting her down, but if it becomes neccessary i'll have my husband do the dirty deed.

Again Thanks to everyone here at BYC.

Jena

Back
Top Bottom