Help with a TSC silkie (maybe??)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrandiC2009, May 17, 2016.

1. BrandiC2009

BrandiC2009 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    Hi!!my mom bought my daughter two silkies on clearance from TSC. One is white and looks like a silkie with the extra toes and fluff. The other has feathered legs and only 2 toes and is getting normal looking feathers. Any guesses on breed???[​IMG][/IMG]

2. BrandiC2009

Jun 27, 2015

3. BrandiC2009

Jun 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    gold laced cochin?
    or maybe partridge

There is likely another toe there hiding under the feathers, so it has 3 of the normal looking toes and the little one in the back.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Silkies usually have extra toes, feathered legs and a large "poof" of feathers on their head. They always have Black skin and actually have black bones. Comb should be. Black and be a walnut Comb. They can be bearded or non bearded. If they don't have all these characteristics ( black skin, black Comb, feathered feet, extra toes, walnut Comb,) then it's likely they are a cross of something. One of my Silkies I got as a chick seemed bigger than my others. She has black skin, feathered feet a huge "poof" on her head, she's bearded, but as she grew larger than my other Silkies I noticed a red Comb instead of the black. Which leads me to believe she IS crossed with something. I'm thinking it explains her size difference. She's still a beautiful girl and a great bird! Sometimes they sell crosses of Silkies and the smallest clue is the only way you can tell. Something small that is "off " for the Silkie breed like pink skin, red combs, or clean legs. This is just a tip to check if the Silkie is a cross or not. If it is, I wouldn't worry as crosses can make better layers and less broody hens and still be quite beautiful. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can we get a pic of the bird's feet?

I'm guessing partridge bantam Cochin from what I can see now.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2.

8. BrandiC2009

Jun 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. BrandiC2009

Jun 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

I tried to get her wings in this one. If y'all think she's a partridge Cochin - can anyone give me a little info on them? (I'm hoping it's a she)

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Yep, not a Silkie. I'd guess a partridge cochin too. I picked up a few of them from a bantam assortment. They are beautiful, funny little birds! Cochin have a lot of the same mothering instincts as a Silkie--I have several of each breed to do my brooding for me next spring. I have a couple cochin pullets and cockerels. The cockerels seem pretty mild-mannered so far...if they keep it up then I won't look to rehome any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by