HELP with a vintage cape

Rusty Hills Farm

13 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Up at the barn
My dil's brother is a reenactor and belongs to a group in Colorado. He has recently acquired a vintage cloak/cape from a cavalry officer, circa 1860s. It's in good shape except for the gadget that fastens it closed at the neck. I'm betting we could find one online--or instructions on how to make one--IF we knew what the darn thing is called! There are two buttons, one on each side of the neckline and a frayed bit of braid that looks kinda like a Celtic knot. It is supposed to slip over the two buttons to keep the cape fastened. The buttons look to be usable but the braid is too badly worn to trust it to keep the cape on when they are tearing down some hill in the midst of a "battle". It definitely needs replacing.

Anybody got any ideas what this thingy might be called?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings from a fellow CW reenactor!

A braid rope that is sewn into the jacket that fasten by a button? I believe we call them "frogs".

In some events, some blacksmiths do have those cloak fasteners, metal or tin and they do an awesome job on it. I had a favorite sultery that does carry them but they went out of business.

Facebook does have four CW forums I highly recommend. There is ONE that devotes into clothings of its time, called the Civilian CW Closet. Check that out and see what kind of responses you will get.

Let me know if you are still having problems.
TY! I did not have a clue!

I will pass the links along to Josh. I know he'll make good use of them. He's only been at this for less than a year. He's got most of his horse equipment but the clothing has been giving him fits, so maybe he'll find what he needs here.

Thanks for the help!

I KNOW! I don't know how many times I went thru a dress off the rack or something that needs to be replaced. It would literally drove me crazy!

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom