Help with Adding New Chickens to Flock

parkertom

Hatching
Jun 30, 2016
Good morning,

I have had chickens for just over a year. We purchased four last spring and decided to add another four this spring. I kept them quarantined for about 4 weeks and then moved them into a newly built run extension next to my existing run. They were in that area for 2 weeks before I began trying to have them share the run with the existing flock.

Well, it didn't go well. They constantly fought and chased the new chickens up on the roof of the small coop I had for temporary quarters until they could move into my main coop. I believe they would be stuck on the roof all day with limited access to water/food. I began keeping the old chickens in the coop longer and closing them earlier to give the new guys some relief.

Last night tragedy struck and my temporary run/coop was accessed by a predator. Of the four new chickens, I am left with one.

I am looking for some advice on how to get this poor girl in with the other chickens. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

frow.gif
Welcome to BYC. There are a lot of articles and threads on how to do this. Type Integrating new chicks to flock or something along those lines in the search bar above and you will find many threads to choose from.

Sorry for your loss, and think it will be harder to integrate just one as opposed to several. Good thinking to quarantine first. We are getting ready to be in this same situation also as chicken math finally caught up with us and we have 5 new pullets to add to our flock.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom