Help with aggressive chick

Marjoram

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have 2 Buff Orps and 2 Australorps (chicks, 2 weeks old). Everything I have read says they are docile breeds. They were fine for the first week but then one of the Aussies became very aggressive, especially to the Orps. Constantly pecking at eyes and vents to the point they bleed. I have separated them with a screen. Will they be able to get along in the coop? Any help would be appreciated!

chickens are wild animals and probably not anything you can do cept separate until they free roam which will help. if they sense weakness they naturally cull themselves....jeff

Last edited:
Interesting but it seems like I see quite a few posts about aggessive Australorpe chicks.

I would keep the aggressive one separate a few days, then put it back and see if it starts up again. What size brooder do you have them in? To small of a space makes this particular problem worse.

chickens are wild animals and probably not anything you can do cept separate until they free roam which will help. if they sense weakness they naturally cull themselves....jeff
I've never heard of wild chickens, but each to their own. They are domesticated although some have escaped / been dumped & do breed in feral circumstances, like cats, if you mean that kind of wild.

OP, separate the chick causing problems & try & reintroduce him later on when his siblings are older. The separation will hopefully,move him down the pecking order. Sometimes chicks just get carried away with bullying (like children) & need time out alone.

Try to reintroduce him in a week.
frow.gif
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom