Help with apple rings

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by winstonsgrrrl, Nov 21, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I just finished canning apple rings from my Ball blue book. I bought Granny Smiths hoping they would retain their shape, but they're just mush. The recipe calls for them to sit in the syrup for 10 minutes and then simmer for another 30. Anyone have a recipe that will leave my apples intact? I still have a few sliced and ready to go, but I don't want to give away spiced apple mush for Christmas!

2. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:I think the recipe must be wrong. It seems like the are being cooked waaay too long. I found this recipe online but have not tried it.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/apples/r/blbb619.htm

I made Caramel Apple Jam this year and this apples stayed in chunks and did not turn into "apple mush" as you called it.

Caramel Apple Jam
    * 6 cups diced peeled apples (1/8-inch cubes)
    * 1/2 cup water (or apple juice)
    * 1/2 teaspoon butter (optional)
    * 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
    * 3 cups sugar
    * 2 cups packed brown sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:
    In a Dutch oven, combine the apples, water and butter. (I use a large pot as I don't have a dutch over) Cook and stir over low heat until apples are tender, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg and return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
    Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    all the online recipes say boil in syrup 5 min and water bath for 10 min

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by