HELP WITH BABY CHICK ASAP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lamaremybabies, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Hi I'm really worried, I just got chicks three days ago and one passed away, and now I have another chick who is sleeping all day and when I pick her up she opens her eyes and she'll walk a little but not more then a few steps and then goes back to sleep and the whole time she's cheeping I think she's weak because not only does she seem to be the runt but when I stand her up she bends her legs and then sits. Also when I hold her she wants to "snuggle" meaning she wants to sleep under my shirt or whatever and will force herself under any part of my clothing. I don't know what to do or what's really wrong. HEEEEEELP! She also won't eat but I have been getting her to drink by squirting a little water into her mouth.

I've never had chickens before so I don't know a whole lot...

2. 3rdgradeteacher

3rdgradeteacher New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    This seems to be the same issue with my three day old chick. I am a classroom teacher first time incubating eggs. I have been feeding my baby chick mush (food that is watered down). I put it on the side of his/her beak and try hard to get anything in its mouth. I do the same with water but use a medicine dropper. I am sorry I cannot give you more advice. When you turn the chick over is the intestine not all the way closed up? I just noticed this on mine. It does not have intestines hanging out from what I compare to Google pictures of this, however my colleague thinks this is what my chick has and where the issue stems from. My chick also has one crooked foot so I made chicken shoes in hopes that it will get energy and walk.

3. 3rdgradeteacher

3rdgradeteacher New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Thanks for the help. The vent is closed from what I can tell, so I don't think that would be an issue with mine and I wish I could help with yours but I've only heard of that happening with one other chicken.
    Btw Very cute chick.

5. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Update on the chick. She passes away last night while I was asleep

6. PickUpChicks

PickUpChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    I'm really sorry to hear that :(

1 person likes this.