Help with breeding & Incubating Please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilverStar, May 12, 2009.

1. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    My husband and i have been considering doing some breeding. We will most likely use an incubator. Can anyone give me some advise & tips on breeding like "wow to's" and "what not to do". Also incubator advise would be great too. Thanks!!

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I just started breeding my chickens. Didn't have alot of money to invest- and who knows if anyone will buy chicks from me. I got the LG incubator from Tractor Supply (mixed reviews) and an additional thermometer/hygrometer. No turners- they weren't in stock. Total investment- $50, and time turning eggs. I would advise starting out with fresh (not brooded) eggs and start them all on the same day to avoid confusion. And put the incubator where it won't be disturbed or have big temperature variances. It's working out good for me so far- just try not to get too stressed about the little details. Have fun!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    First, you will need fertile eggs. Crack some open to make sure they are fertile, they will have a bullseye somewhere on the yolk.
    My only suggestion if you are going to buy an bator is make sure you have a turner with it. If you don't, you will have to hand turn and when you open one of those bators you lose a lot of heat and humidity each time you turn. I built my bator from a styrofoam cooler. I cut a hole in the side just big enough to get my hand through so I can turn my eggs. It's real quick and I close it back up and don't lose hardly any heat or humidity. Good luck hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by