Help with Broody Hen....now 2 broody hens!

I would separate them and give the 2nd broody different eggs (give her duds until you can get hatching eggs). With hatching eggs penning off the nest area is important else stuff tends to go wrong (hens sit on the wrong nest, eggs get broken etc...)

Plus the 2nd broody is 10 days behind the first and may not be ready to accept chicks when they hatch as she hasn't been sitting long enough.

Sorry I don't understand what "get rice very pale" means..... I wouldn't worry too much. All my broody hens go into a deep trance and get off the nest maybe once a day and poop a tennis ball....grab some water and a few minutes of eating and then back on. My advice would be to ignore her as much as you can. I find tossing them from the nest to eat, drink and be merry is not a good thing. The hen will know when she has to come out of the trance she is in to do whatever she needs to do. Making her comply with your wishes just might break her from the brood as she could think what she is doing is not accepted by you (like when we try to break up a broody hen by making them leave the nest and removing the eggs) and you would have to finish off the eggs in your incubator. Good luck.

Her comb is still a bit pale but better I got her to eat a little moistened cat food.....I’m trying to tell if she has mites. I didn’t see anything in the racks of the coop or by her vent but I’m having a hard time on her legs because she has soooo many feathers.

the dark spots I see seem like feathers to me??
8A533097-BB67-4AFE-A4A7-141D899CD1A9.jpeg

Yes, they seem like feathers to me, as well. I see no mites. If she had them and you held her, you'd know real soon, as they move to you fast. What does get rice very pale relate to? Just sit back and relax. Chickens (in my experience) eat VERY little when in broody mode. Don't fret. All she has to do for energy is to keep them warm. Her need for lots of good food time has passed. She will do what she needs, not really because of you, but often in spite of you. Relax. Get ready for the babies (make sure they will be safe and away from other birds for a time) and enjoy! Keeping you and yours in my heart and prayers.

Yes, they seem like feathers to me, as well. I see no mites. If she had them and you held her, you'd know real soon, as they move to you fast. What does get rice very pale relate to? Just sit back and relax. Chickens (in my experience) eat VERY little when in broody mode. Don't fret. All she has to do for energy is to keep them warm. Her need for lots of good food time has passed. She will do what she needs, not really because of you, but often in spite of you. Relax. Get ready for the babies (make sure they will be safe and away from other birds for a time) and enjoy! Keeping you and yours in my heart and prayers.

it was supposed to just say getting really pale!!! I just can’t type and I don’t proof read!

No problem. I was just perplexed (old age does that, you know) and if you had any herbal and natural remedies that included rice.....well I was all ears. Is your Pyrenees a guard for the barn or house dog. How about the Shepherd. We had a Shepherd who was a great help with rounding up the hens, as long as my sister was out of sight. Once she was seen (she's the softie here) our Shepherd would nip at the hens! However, when my sister was not outside or at the farm, Greta worked those hens in a wonderful way.

No problem. I was just perplexed (old age does that, you know) and if you had any herbal and natural remedies that included rice.....well I was all ears. Is your Pyrenees a guard for the barn or house dog. How about the Shepherd. We had a Shepherd who was a great help with rounding up the hens, as long as my sister was out of sight. Once she was seen (she's the softie here) our Shepherd would nip at the hens! However, when my sister was not outside or at the farm, Greta worked those hens in a wonderful way.

haha!!! Thank you so much!! I’m putting fresh mulch out in the run today and new shavings the coop floor. Since our weather is perfect right now my plan is to leave mom and the babies locked inside the coop for about a week and just let mom out once a day like I have been. I only have the one other hen in this coop but my run is partially covered with a roost for her so that’s where she’s been booted out too. I am going to have to watch her because she’s higher in pecking order and as soon as I let momma out she pecks her and goes and tries to sit on the eggs.

haha!!! Thank you so much!! I’m putting fresh mulch out in the run today and new shavings the coop floor. Since our weather is perfect right now my plan is to leave mom and the babies locked inside the coop for about a week and just let mom out once a day like I have been. I only have the one other hen in this coop but my run is partially covered with a roost for her so that’s where she’s been booted out too. I am going to have to watch her because she’s higher in pecking order and as soon as I let momma out she pecks her and goes and tries to sit on the eggs.
I have had a few clutches with what I call "tag team" hens. When one gets off the nest, another hops on to be sure the eggs stay warm and safe. It's kinda cute when it goes well here. The "main mom" poops and drinks and eats and sometimes, knowing the eggs are covered (pun intended) even takes time for a dust bath. When she is ready to go back to the nest, she does and most often the tag team hen gives up the nest right away, but sometimes there is a little tension as "Auntie" doesn't want to give up her time on the nest, but most often, the trade goes as any good tag team change should, and Auntie sits near the nest while the mom settles and takes over, talking all the time to each other. One time, the nest had enough eggs, so we were able to divide them up between the two willing hens and they all raised together after hatch, but our hens get along very well, so we were comfortable doing this. Best of luck with the clutch and hatch.

I have had a few clutches with what I call "tag team" hens. When one gets off the nest, another hops on to be sure the eggs stay warm and safe. It's kinda cute when it goes well here. The "main mom" poops and drinks and eats and sometimes, knowing the eggs are covered (pun intended) even takes time for a dust bath. When she is ready to go back to the nest, she does and most often the tag team hen gives up the nest right away, but sometimes there is a little tension as "Auntie" doesn't want to give up her time on the nest, but most often, the trade goes as any good tag team change should, and Auntie sits near the nest while the mom settles and takes over, talking all the time to each other. One time, the nest had enough eggs, so we were able to divide them up between the two willing hens and they all raised together after hatch, but our hens get along very well, so we were comfortable doing this. Best of luck with the clutch and hatch.

This is our first attempt at this and neither hen has ever hatched. I let them both sit for a couple days but The Auntie clearly was trying to take over. I figured there was a chance of it turning into a disaster so I decided to separate.

Back
Top Bottom