Help with broody mama

EBertram

Chirping
Jun 1, 2018
I have a bantam Cochin hen that is currently sitting on 2 of her own eggs as well as 5 hatching eggs that I had purchased. She is on day 22 on her eggs and probably day 18-19 on the others. I keep checking her from a distance, but don’t want to disturb her. She is in the garage in her own pen, I never seem to catch her up, any way she may already have chicks under there and I’m just not seeing them? This is our first time with a broody hen and hatching eggs . Thanks in advance for any input.

I would check. Gently lift her. I would wear gloves as she probably will peck at you. You will need to put food and water within reach for the chicks.

I would check. Gently lift her. I would wear gloves as she probably will peck at you. You will need to put food and water within reach for the chicks.

Thanks, I used an old pair of oven mits I had used when I initially moved her . All I saw were eggs. How long do you usually wait before deciding an egg will not be hatching?

On day 23 under a broody hen. I generally get rid of them. You can try candling or opening some up. Since a few aren't that old yet I might wait until all pass that time frame.

Yikes, that thought did cross my mind, do you just throw them away once you figure they’re no good?

Yes, very carefully. Some people like to crack them open to see what went wrong, I personally don't. You can usually smell which are rotation from the outside, and can usually tell by candling. We are rural so ours get tossed out in the weeds far out in the field.

Back
Top Bottom