Help with button/chinese quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FloorSugar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. FloorSugar

FloorSugar New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Basically I have a single adult male button quail on his own, having been attacked by the rest of his old crew - I had to separate him because the other adult may took 'ownership' of the two resident females.

I'm hatching new button quails right now and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether it would be safe to put the new quails in with the lonely male? If so, how long should I wait to put them in there? Or could they go in straight away? Or maybe it's just not safe at all....

Please help! I love my quails :)

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't mix different age groups or social groups with quail as a general rule. Older quail will almost always attack younger quail. Gamebirds WILL kill each other when they fight.

When it comes to Cbbq they are meant to be kept in pairs as they mate for life. I know many breeders suggest colony breeding or keeping them in harems but this will lead to bird injury or death over time. Trio's of cbbq seem to work out ok but I've had one female turn on the other a few times when kept this way.

If I were you I would take one hen from the other male and put her in a cage next to the solo male for a week or two then place them together. This way you will have two pairs, and you will be keeping them the way nature intended.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Yep what DC said! The only way you could introduce a younger birds is if she is an adult bird, older then 8-10 weeks. But I would just watch the trio then pull the female that is the odd bird out and place her in a cage next to the other male for a day or two then move the d├ęcor around in his cage, remove him for a few minutes while you move stuff, then place her in then him back in. Watch to be sure there is no fighting. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by