Help with chick ID please!

TheReidHomestead

Never enough coops...
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Monroe, WA
My Coop
My Coop
On Monday we received our chick order from McMurray. We ordered 47 birds, 10 were DOA and we lost 7 more over the next two days.
hit.gif

Of the 30 left, I am stumped on two of them, and I also need some help or clues on how to sort out Red Star chicks from the RIR's as we were supposed to have both in the order.

So here is the one in question although we actually have 2 of them:

22465_02-05_017.jpg

22465_02-05_018.jpg

It's a buff color, with reddish stripes down it's back. The only things we ordered that I think it could be, are Buff Rock, RIR Roo's, or maybe they are possibly the Red Star? But I have two SOLID buff color chicks I'm pretty sure are the Buff Rocks, and I have two solid color, larger than the ladies, chicks I think are the Roo's. I do think it's possible they messed up on our quantity's of Red Star and RIR. I ordered 4 Red Star's and 6 RIR layers, and 2 RIR roos. I think I MAY have ended up with 7 RIR girls + 2 Roo's, and there was a 3rd one of the mystery birds in the batch but it didn't make it. So maybe they gave me 3 Red Star's and these are them?

I've ID'd everything else in the order, but I'm just stumped. Any idea's would be appreciated. I will try and get better pic's when the girls get home. Thanks much!

Tamara

Hmm..I'm not very good at this, but that doesn't look like a Red Star roo. They're sex-links and McMurray sent us RS roos as packing peanuts a few years ago. All I can do for you.
lol.png

They've been having very bad luck with their chicks lately. I'm sorry for your loss. Been there, done that.

Someone else is bound to know what they are. Messed up order? Sure, it's happened before. Not with us, but I've heard people say that MM didn't do a very good job on remembering buyer's chicks.

Good luck! Bump!

Doesn't look like any of my RIR chicks. But it's hard to tell. It's possible I guess. I've never had any red stars, so I don't know what they look like.

I agree, I don't think it's a RIR. I had thought maybe it might be the RIR Rooster....but I think I've picked them out of the bunch.

I don't think it's the Buff Rock either, which means it is either the Red Star, or a mystery chick. The Red Star's were part of someone elses order, hopefully they will know what they look like! They should be coming this weekend to get them.

Still open to hear other peoples opinions if you have them and might know what these little guys are! Thanks a bunch!

Tamara

Back
Top Bottom