Help with Chicken Info!

rham5151

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Hey, My name is Colby, I live in North Carolina, and I am 15 years old. My dad and I are really interested in getting and raising chickens. We want to start with eggs, or small chicks so they grow with us. We are not sure how to start off. We know that we need to build/buy a coop. We want chickens that are easily held, friendly, quiet, and especially pretty. We want the chicken that look good and aren't ugly. Will you please help me with my questions below? Thank You.

1. What is the square footage per chicken?
2. What is the best chicken to get that is friendly, quiet, easily held, and pretty?
3. Is there a way to get the chickens to use the bathroom in a certain area?
4. What is a good cleaning method?
5. Any other information needed?

1. What is the square footage per chicken? Maybe about 3-4 square feet in a coop, and about 10 sq. ft. outside.
2. What is the best chicken to get that is friendly, quiet, easily held, and pretty? I've only had 3 breeds. I have an australorp that is very friendly and she lays well and pretty quite. A golden lace wyandotte, she is docile, can't be picked up though and very quite. I had a buff orp but she was noisy and not friendly, but that was that individual bird. Many other people have good experiences with them. I also have 2 silkies and a mutt, but they are still young and skiddish.
3. Is there a way to get the chickens to use the bathroom in a certain area? No, they will go wherever.
4. What is a good cleaning method? For the coop? just clean out shavings or the material in a coop and compost it and put new shavings in.
5. Any other information needed? Do you need cold hardy breeds? Dual purpose? Good egg laying?

"We want to start with eggs, or small chicks so they grow with us." So you want to hatch or get chicks? Hatching eggs are more expesive than starting out with chicks, and most likely will only get 1 breed, unless you only want 1 type. Or you could order from a hatchery or find a feed store that may have chicks and get more variety.

"We want the chicken that look good and aren't ugly." There really isnt an 'ugly' breed, maybe a turken, but they're still kinda cute lol.

Quote:
I've been raising chickens for a few years now and I am still learning. I started out slowly and have worked my way up to 30 birds- chickens, ducks and geese. Poultry keeping is an easy hobby if you plan and prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Build a tough house. Build a strong run. Spend time getting to know your birds so you know what is their normal behavior. Feed them well. And enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom