help with chicken run design

mastertech

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
I am new to byc and chickens. My little girls are growing fast and I need to build a run for them, already have a coop. I have some 2x4s from a deck and would like to use them in the run framing. Any plans or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

Have you looked through the ones shown here?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/large-chicken-coop-designs-pictures-of-chicken-coops

Of course a lot will depend on what style coop you have and how many chickens the run needs to hold.
The more info you can give the more folks can give ideas on.

Babs

Well, how many chickens do you have, how many 2x4s(and length), and what wire height/length are you planning to use? Do you want a walk in run,so you don't have to bend over? Do you want to cover the run, and if so, with what? Do you have a lot of trees in the run to get in the way of covering it, and what predators are around? Have you tried googling 'Chicken Run' images to give you some visual ideas? Lots of questions.
big_smile.png

I currently have 6 chicks, but I feel that that number will grow. Ihave about 15 2x4s that are just over 11 feet in length. I will need to cover the top and predator proof the run. I have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, owls, etc. I would like to attach it to the coop and have a portion of it covered to provide shelter from rain and snow so they can still go out into the run even if the weather is not so nice.
Thanks.

My husband just built our run using 2 x 4s (4 x 4 posts & 1 x 4s to trim it out). We have 6 chickens and the run is 8' x 16'. It is attached to the coop and has a metal roof. 1/2" hardware cloth was used for the sides.

Some pics...

Well, you could:

Build a square 11ft.x11ft., with one side open, 5' 1/2ft. tall, with support in the middle of each 11ft. 2x4 in the form of a 5' 1/2 ft. 2x4, made from cutting one of your 11s' in half. You know have this:

o----------------o
I
I
I
o----------------o

Then build two more 11ft. x 5' 1/2ft. sections, making this:

o----------------o,
I ' ,
I ',o
I , '
I ,'
o----------------o'

And make all the corners a 6ft. long 4x4, (which, unfortunately, you will have to buy, because a 2x4 isn't enough support..) which will leave you two 11' 2x4s to use as support for whatever net type top you decide to put on. Then just put on some sort of wire around it. Chicken wire will not prevent foxes, coyotes, or racoons, so go with a stronger type if you want to make your run secure, and build an apron of wire extending a foot or two out from the bottom of the run. A wild bird net across the top will keep your hens in and owls out, but racoons (if hungry enough) will climb up there and tear through it, so make sure your girls are locked up at night. This will give you 154sq.ft., enough for 14-15 hens.

Of course, you don't have to have 2x4s across the ground, so you could do a 22'x22' run, with eight 4x4 corner posts/between posts and three 11' 2x4s leftover to build a door with, or something. The second run would have 484sq.ft., which is enough room for 48-49 hens.
o---------------o-----------------o
I I
I I
I I
I I
o o
I I
I I
I I
o----------------o-----------------o

As for covering part of the run, you could use some of those corrugated see through roofing panels, just not the PVC type because it cracks in the sun.

Hope you are still awake, and this was informative and helpful not brain-dead boring. Good luck! Tell us what you end up doing!
wee.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. I'll try to post pictures of the finished run. I just need to get busy and build it now.

Back
Top Bottom