1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! With chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LOVEMYCHICKS03, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Extra food

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Do something els

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LOVEMYCHICKS03

LOVEMYCHICKS03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Help we are going to get chicks 25-26 march 2013 and we are going on vacation a little after we get them sooo what will we do? We don't have a chick sitter oveosly so help!

2. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I would get a chick sitter. It's not a good idea to leave chicks alone for long periods of time, I don't even leave my grown hens alone for even a day. A lot can go wrong in a very short time.

3. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    How long are you going away and how old will they be when you leave them?
    I just got my first chicks last week and couldn't imagine leaving them even for a day. They need to be looked after when so young.
    And will they be in the house with a heat lamp on them while you are gone? Sounds a little dangerous to me as well. There are many stories of the lamp falling into the brooder or glass exploding and fires starting.

4. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    you need a chicken sitter. We have an auto chick door, auto feeder, and an auto waterer. We will leave our girls for a day or 2 but no more, but I have a neighbor who will gather eggs, (he ain't very good at being a sitter) We have another person (my Cousin) who will come if we are going to be gone longer than a day or 2. She checks all the girls, refills the feeder and gathers eggs. We pay her $10 bucks a day + eggs. We will give her eggs wher we have extra. Check around at your local feed srore. I am sure you will find someone. Happy Chicky day.

5. LOVEMYCHICKS03

LOVEMYCHICKS03 Chillin' With My Peeps

They will be 6-5 days old and we will be gone for 2 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by