Help with confused rooster

Your 14 month old rooster will chase these 14 week pullets relentlessly until they submit causing needless stress in your flock until they're old enough to breed .Any rooster will do the same.Remove him and add him back after they've started laying.If you added more hens he might breed the others and quit chasing them but young pullets are a favorite of any rooster.
I beg to differ with this. I have had several, several males. Yes, young males with no mature hens will absolutely harass young pullets that aren't laying yet. Same with rude males sharing a flock with other males.

But good mannered males, especially males that have older hens should not harass females that are not yet layinng

I beg to differ with this. I have had several, several males. Yes, young males with no mature hens will absolutely harass young pullets that aren't laying yet. Same with rude males sharing a flock with other males.

But good mannered males, especially males that have older hens should not harass females that are not yet layinng
I emphasized the need for mature hens with the flock because this young rooster had only one hen .He may have learned "manners" faster had their been more than one hen but at the end of the day all that matters is he learns.Thanks!

Recently, I built a second coop and moved my two bantams (one rooster, one hen) from my existing flock to the new coop, with two new bantam pullets (about 15 weeks old). I went through the whole integration process (see-no-touch, then letting them all out together), and everything went really well.
But, now that they are all in together, I'm having some issues, particularly with my rooster. The hen and the pullets have become really close, really quickly. They're almost always together, they share their food, etc. But, the rooster chases the pullets so much, that they are scared to do anything if the hen isn't around. At the same time, the hen hates the rooster, and is constantly chasing him.
I keep waiting for him to assert his dominance, and kind of "man up" I guess, but it's not happening. And I think he chases the pullets because he doesn't see them as ladies he needs to take care of and protect, because they are so young.
He also keeps trying to get back to is old coop, because he really likes one hen in particular there, because she's the only one that doesn't hate him.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this? How can I get my rooster to accept his new flock, and take charge of his ladies?
Really effective way to solve this, Just butcher the rooster or let the rooster away till he totally forgets the pullet and the hen, if he thinks they are new, he would add them right to the harem

Really effective way to solve this, Just butcher the rooster or let the rooster away till he totally forgets the pullet and the hen, if he thinks they are new, he would add them right to the harem
Thank you, but this issue has thankfully been resolved. He has accepted the pullets, and the girls have all accepted him. They are now a happy, peaceful flock.

Back
Top Bottom