Help with confused rooster

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
Recently, I built a second coop and moved my two bantams (one rooster, one hen) from my existing flock to the new coop, with two new bantam pullets (about 15 weeks old). I went through the whole integration process (see-no-touch, then letting them all out together), and everything went really well.
But, now that they are all in together, I'm having some issues, particularly with my rooster. The hen and the pullets have become really close, really quickly. They're almost always together, they share their food, etc. But, the rooster chases the pullets so much, that they are scared to do anything if the hen isn't around. At the same time, the hen hates the rooster, and is constantly chasing him.
I keep waiting for him to assert his dominance, and kind of "man up" I guess, but it's not happening. And I think he chases the pullets because he doesn't see them as ladies he needs to take care of and protect, because they are so young.
He also keeps trying to get back to is old coop, because he really likes one hen in particular there, because she's the only one that doesn't hate him.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this? How can I get my rooster to accept his new flock, and take charge of his ladies?

I would separate him from the pullets until they mature. What you interpret as aggression may simply be him trying to catch and breed them - something that they are not ready for.
No, he's definitely not trying to breed them. He's actually pecking them, and chasing them around. It doesn't look anything like what my other rooster does, or what this one has done in the past.
How long would it take for them to mature?
The only thing I could put him in is a dog crate, and I can't just keep him in that for extended periods of time.

The only thing I could put him in is a dog crate, and I can't just keep him in that for extended periods of time.
Maybe keep him in there just for most the day?
Why did you move him?
Big upset to take him from his flock, especially if he can still see/hear them.
How old is he, in weeks or months?

Why did you move him?
Big upset to take him from his flock, especially if he can still see/hear them.
How old is he, in weeks or months?
I moved him because the flock he was in already has a rooster, and he was constantly trying to mount the big girls, which he's too small for. The girls were miserable with him there, and he was miserable because he couldn't do the things a rooster should be able to do.
I gave him his own flock that he can be in charge of, with girls that are small enough for him.
The old flock wasn't his flock. As I said, that one has a rooster, and he is the one in charge.
He is 1 year and 2 months old.

It was important that you waited until the young pullets were of laying age BEFORE you introduced them to a rooster. I would give the rooster a couple mature hens if you want things to go smoother . 3-4 hens will suffice otherwise the pullets will keep him frustrated. If "he was miserable because he couldn't do the things a rooster should be able to do" he is only more miserable now.

When I began reading this, I was assuming that the rooster was a bout 15 weeks. What you describe is very apt for an immature rooster. Personally - he is not working out with this set up, sometimes you get a bird that doesn't. The fact that he does have a an adult hen in that group, and she does not like him... I would cull this bird, and try again.

Your 14 month old rooster will chase these 14 week pullets relentlessly until they submit causing needless stress in your flock until they're old enough to breed .Any rooster will do the same.Remove him and add him back after they've started laying.If you added more hens he might breed the others and quit chasing them but young pullets are a favorite of any rooster.

It was important that you waited until the young pullets were of laying age BEFORE you introduced them to a rooster. I would give the rooster a couple mature hens if you want things to go smoother . 3-4 hens will suffice otherwise the pullets will keep him frustrated. If "he was miserable because he couldn't do the things a rooster should be able to do" he is only more miserable now.

How can he man up without a "flock"of hens? Roosters need hens .I agree 100% Chicks aren't enough.

When I began reading this, I was assuming that the rooster was a bout 15 weeks. What you describe is very apt for an immature rooster. Personally - he is not working out with this set up, sometimes you get a bird that doesn't. The fact that he does have a an adult hen in that group, and she does not like him... I would cull this bird, and try again.

Your 14 month old rooster will chase these 14 week pullets relentlessly until they submit causing needless stress in your flock until they're old enough to breed .Any rooster will do the same.Remove him and add him back after they've started laying.If you added more hens he might breed the others and quit chasing them but young pullets are a favorite of any rooster.

Thank you both for your posts, but things have actually calmed down a lot now. The hen that hated him is now starting to like him again, and he has even danced for her a couple times. He's also getting along with the D'Uccles now. As they're starting to mature, he has started to dance for them, and he's protecting them now too, which is great. They've really become a proper flock now.

Back
Top Bottom