Help with day-old bully chicj!

Chicken Paradise

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Central Missouri
We put it in a separate box with its own heat, etc...is this what should be done? He was pecking at the other chick's feet and pulling at the feet like it was trying to eat them! Got them all this morning, day old.

If he wasn't hurting them, just looking and learning, I would leave him in there or when you do reintroduce him, they won't know each other. Just watch and see if he is hurting them. If they are that young then really probably not. But don't ake my word for it. Someone (or anyone) will come along with better sense soon.

What color heat light do you have them under? If it's white, a change to a red bulb may help settle down your hyperactive chick. Some of it is what fuzzie said though. Just learning about their world. As long as no blood is drawn, they'll be okay.

A lot of them seem to do that a bit the first couple of days, fascinated by feet and eyeballs. I'd put him back in and keep an eye on him.

The red light is a good idea too.

I have a older (3-4 wks) bad girl chick that I'm trying to reform, but what you're describing sounds normal. If yours starts pulling feathers and drawing blood, that's different.

thanks, it is out of the time out box and back in the general population now.
tongue.png
It seems to be behaving, i will keep an eye on it. I'll get a red light tomorrow, I have a white one now.
One of my black marans has a bald spot on its shoulder I'm watching, not sure if iit's just a feather anomaly or it was pecked. Underlying skin looks a little pink though.

Back
Top Bottom