Help with DE

freshegg

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
greenfield,ma
I just talked to a lady at the saferbrand company and she says that this de is food grade but they dont package it as food grade but its safe theres no poison in it. she says the other ingrediants are natural minerals. She says customers have said to her they saw there animals eating it and they didnt get sick. very confusing subject. Im not looking to order online I want it now. Is it safe

I just called another coop and they sell the same stuff and say its safe to put on animals. Does antone have a input on this.

This was discussed on another post the other day and I ordered some from a member on here. I can't remember their member name, but I will PM you with their website and email address.

Im having the same problem I found it locally says safe to use on amimals but nothing about Human called the company they said it was safe? I use used last week a poultry powder I bought at Tractor Supply they had an awful reaction had to wash it off after a few days still have mites!!!! I really am freaking out .

D.gif
I went to Tractor Supply and the people there said they don't sell FOODSAFE DE. tHEY SELL THE KIND YOU PUT IN SWIMMING POOL FILTERS. So I went online to mastergardening.com. The have foodsafe DE. You can sprinkle it around kitchen cupboards and even put in on dogs for fleas and ticks. Foodsafe DE is made from fossils of shellfish, so when insects hatch, they are killed instantly from the sharp particles. Don't worry about your chickie's feet. The particles are really tiny! I bought 2 3.6# tubs of it and I haven't put a dent in the first tub yet. A little goes a LONG way. Hope this helps you. rughooker P.S. Don't buy the big bucket------ it costs $50.00 for shipping!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I use a little shovel - I fill a cat litter bucket with the de and then walk around with the shovel and sprinkle it around.
I have what looks like small powder shakers - but they're WAY too small.
I did get a large glass jar and made holes in the lid and can use that as well - but it too only holds so much and becomes annoying to stop and re-fill every five minutes.

The member who sells Food Grade DE is Spatcher.

And, here is an article that will help you to understand why you must resist the temptation to buy what is available locally unless you are really really really (REALLY) sure that you think it is Food Grade

http://www.safe2use.com/safe-products/diatomaceous/diatomaceous_Earth.htm

From my own personal experience with feed store personnel, I would say that the likelihood of what they are trying to sell you being Food Grade is somewhere between nil and less than that. I have looked all over my local area, and Food Grade DE simply does not exist. Ordering it to be shipped is the only way I can get it.

Here is one source
http://www.groworganic.com/item_PMB105_Diatomaceous_Earth_50_Lb_Bag.html?welcome=T&theses=2694141

Susan

I just purchased my Codex Food Rade Diatomaceouse Earth from Wolf Creek Ranch (a member of BYC). I only bought 2lbs; as I have never heard of the stuff before being on here. I was a little disappointed that this DE didnt come with any ingredient list on the package; just a homemade label with their company name. Has anyone else purchased their DE from Wodl Creek Ranch?

Back
Top Bottom