Help with declining LB

juliemarie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I have a 7 month old LB that broke her wing two weeks ago and over a week later she started to decline. She seemed fine with her wrapped wing and was eating and drinking well. I noticed that she fell and could not get up on her own and then later she was knocked over onto her back and could not get up. I also noticed when I changed her wrap that her crop was empty and she was acting lethargic and also she was not standing well. I brought her in the house and have been giving her fluids, water, ACV, and Gatorade, She was eating from our hands and after a few hours perked up. Since then she has declined. I have started feeding her chick starter mixed with poultry electrolyte and vitamin water and also mix in some yogurt. I have to feed her by spoon and drop into her mouth. She now just lays there and wont get up and seems that her leg isn't very strong on the broken wing side, she lays on the other side with her feet out to the side. She has also pooped the most vile smelling green poop twice now. Is it possible she has an infection. Other that the broken wing she was fine. Any help would be appreciated. We really don't want to lose her!

What does the injured wing look like? Is there any swelling, discoloration, or bad smell coming from the wing? An infection is definitely a possibility. I would consider purchasing a good antibiotic, like Tylan50 injectable, and beginning to treat her with that.

Also, how did the wing get broken? If it occurred during some sort of predator attack, another possibility is that she has internal injuries, If that is the case, then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do.

She may be too far gone to recover, but I wouldn't give up hope yet. Keep feeding her, keep her hydrated, and try not to stress her out too much.

Last edited:
She was injured in the run during the day when I was not home. There isn't much swelling and there is no bad smell. She started to perk up after I initially hydrated her and would eat from your hand. That was last Wednesday. On Friday she stopped eating and I started feeding her chick starter and water. She was at least standing until yesterday. She will try to stand with her butt up in the air and her head on the ground but now she is only laying on her side. I will try anything as a last resort, my daughter wants me to try everything!

Back
Top Bottom