Help with diagnosis already had 2 hens die

orlflurbanhens

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
I have had 2 hens die with similar symptoms about 3 months apart. My last hen started exhibiting symptoms about a week ago. She seemed off balance and like one of her wings was hurt and droopy. I checked her out and there was no injury. Over the past week she progressively became more paralyzed. It’s like her legs wouldn’t really work. She was still eating and seemed feisty but just progressively worse. She would even come out of the run into the yard sometimes so I thought maybe she would pull through but she eventually just couldn’t even stand at all. I am in Orlando, FL. She is about a year old and recently molted.

Last edited:
Hi there, what's your birds diet? How old and what breeds?
Have they been vaccinated for mareks?
Could they have gotten into something moldy or toxic?
Hi thanks for your reply. the birds diet is Nutrena 16% layer and I give them a little scratch some oyster and very little vegetable scraps. The recent one was a blue laced red wyondotte about a year old, the one 3 months ago was a Bielfelder I was told she was 2 years. I don’t know if they were vaccinated I bought them private. My newer chickens are from tractor supply - do they vaccinate those? I do not think they have been exposed to anything moldy or toxic.

Hi thanks for your reply. the birds diet is Nutrena 16% layer and I give them a little scratch some oyster and very little vegetable scraps. The recent one was a blue laced red wyondotte about a year old, the one 3 months ago was a Bielfelder I was told she was 2 years. I don’t know if they were vaccinated I bought them private. My newer chickens are from tractor supply - do they vaccinate those? I do not think they have been exposed to anything moldy or toxic.
It could be vitamin deficiency, it sometimes happens after molt.
Try giving her 1 400.iu vitamin E gel cap and about one half of a people b complex tablet every day.
I'm concerned it might be mareks but let proceed as if it isnt.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It does sound very much like Marek’s with the symptoms and the heavy molt stress may have been too much. The only way to know for sure is to send her cold/refrigerated (not frozen) body to your state lab for necropsy
I don’t know if they were vaccinated I bought them private. My newer chickens are from tractor supply - do they vaccinate those? Can I vaccinate older birds for Mareks?

I don’t know if they were vaccinated I bought them private. My newer chickens are from tractor supply - do they vaccinate those? Can I vaccinate older birds for Mareks?
I think they have to be vaccinated as newly hatched chicks smd not be exposed to the virus for at least two weeks. You xan check with Tractor Supply if they are vaccinated.. My guess would be yes.

Back
Top Bottom