Help with drafting a letter to the township?

Those windmills will cut your electric bill in half!! They aren't a bad thing lol! The letter that Elizabeth posted is excellent. I would stress also that you are not just keeping the birds for sustainability reasons, but as pets. Smell will be a non-factor. I have 2/3 an acre in suburban NJ and never has there been one complaint or issue. My neighbors have probably forgotten that there are 10 chickens in my backyard!
The windmills don't do a thing for us. Besides the hydro just got jacked up almost double. They say it only went up 4% but our bill doubled and we haven't done anything different so even if it does go down it will only be to where it was. Beyond that they're taking the only tourism our town has (skydive centre). It can't be anywhere near them and it's been there 20 years. And anyone near the windmills resale value goes down between 30 and 50% depending on how close you are to them. *end rant*

Emphasizing them as pets will cut out the people who want meat birds though won't it? I suppose it's really not feasible to have backyard meat birds anyway isn't it?

What was the response to your letter? I wish you the best of luck.many towns are just not willing to change their laws.I'm wondering how this turned out for you? And your right many are afraid to come forward in fear they will be persacuted and loose their flocks! Did a neighbor turn you in? What is your situation now.just wondering if it made a difference? Your brave to try and fight. I do hope you win!
I'm a little concerned I may have shot myself in the foot by putting the hens before the law and then trying to change it *sigh*

That document is FANTASTIC! I am currently working with local 4-H and my poultry association to get our bylaw changed. I also live in Ontario so every word of that document is relavent to my situation.
THANK-YOU so much for posting this!!! Good luck to anyone else trying to change their bylaws!

That document is FANTASTIC! I am currently working with local 4-H and my poultry association to get our bylaw changed. I also live in Ontario so every word of that document is relavent to my situation.
THANK-YOU so much for posting this!!! Good luck to anyone else trying to change their bylaws!
Glad it could help! Good luck to you too!

Can someone look over my letter? It's so sparse and lately I just haven't the way with words that I used to. Kids are draining my intellect I swear lol.

Hello, my name is Jessica and my family and I recently chose Wainfleet as the town we’d like to settle in. I grew up in a rural town with a warm and welcoming community and we’ve found that same type of community here and we couldn’t be happier.

One thing I did find odd about the bylaws in the area is that there is a bylaw against having backyard egg producing chickens. Being a rural community and taking pride in that which is shown on the town website I found that very out of place. I know there is a reason for this but I think that if there was a responsible plan for keeping chickens and some rules in place that ensure a win win situation we might change this?

First I’d like to have a look at what chickens might do for the town of Wainfleet. Being a rural area and part of the Niagara Region sustainability comes to mind. Chickens are sustainable and make our community more stable. With local businesses like Minor Brothers supplying everything one could need for the chickens we be keeping our money in wainfleet. In the model that I am proposing people would need to register their coops and have them inspected for a small fee which would go directly to the town. Having chickens may also encourage people to garden which further promotes the rural and sustainable nature that Wainfleet promotes. Selling eggs and veggies “at the gates” would keep tourist dollars in Wainfleet as well. If tourists, campers or cottagers don’t need to travel outside wainfleet for necessities it may make an opening for small businesses to open here.

Second I’d like to discuss why chickens are banned. There are no bans on dogs here which cause a lot more trouble than a well cared for, rooster-less flock of egg layers. With the rules I offer the flocks would be well cared for and therefor not a nuisance.

Last I’d like to offer my idea so that everyone wins. What I propose is a pilot project which lasts for one year. In that year people would be able to register coops and have them inspected by the bylaw officer for the fee (in my opinion it would be around $100). At that point they would be able to purchase a permit for the chickens. In the pilot project I think 3 to 6 chickens is reasonable on most lot sizes. I have printed a copy of the Niagara Falls guides for backyard chickens as they are the closest and I find them very comprehensive.
Once the year is up for the pilot project its success or failure could then be determined and perhaps have the bylaw changed.

Sincerely
Jessica

Hi! Overall it sounds pretty good! I do have a few suggestions for you...I am currently attempting to adopt a bylaw allowing urban chickens. So far it is going pretty well, I think. We went to corporate development a few weeks back and our proposal was well-received. Here are a few suggestions...take with a grain of salt, but these are things I have discovered along the way.

1. Contact your ward councillor(s). They may give you some insight into why there is an anti-poultry bylaw in the first place. Arm yourself with knowledge. Be prepared to have solutions to previous issues. I don't know about you, but for my county it is an election year. My ward councillor has been VERY attentive! Get a feel for how you think your proposal will go over. If you make a good case, you will have a champion for your cause in the chamber.

2. Learn about local politics. Again, your ward councillor should give you guidance here. We went to corporate development, not council. Contact your county clerk to get on the agenda. You will be required to submit a letter along with any other materials you will be presenting at least a week in advance. Of you can't get the clerk, call the legal department. After you present at corporate, the councillors will vote. They can shut you down right away, or vote to pass it on to legal etc. for examination. After you present, all councillors are allowed to ask you questions. Be prepared and knowledgeable!

3. Consider aligning yourself with an official group. Your county poultry and pet stock association is a good place to start. Even 4-H, or a private citizens group will give you more solidity up there. When we went, we had the board members of the poultry association and 4-H present.

4. I would remove anything about selling eggs or compost. In Ontario, there are major legal implications with regards to that. Regulations are changing.

5. Anticipate objections. You need to be able to answer the concerns of nay-Sayers. Think about manure, noise, bio security, size of flock, disposal of dead animals, coop placement etc.

6. Keep it simple. Consider the "adoption" of a bylaw, not the creation of a new one. Keep terms simple. What it sadly may come down to is cost to the county. Drafting complicated bylaws is expensive; adopting amendments is simpler and cost effective. We found a simple bylaw and proposed and adoption of an amendment similar to that. I can post that bylaw if you want. At first, simplicity is best!

Good luck to you! If you want any of the materials I have been using, just ask! I hope this is somewhat useful to you.

Hi! Overall it sounds pretty good! I do have a few suggestions for you...I am currently attempting to adopt a bylaw allowing urban chickens. So far it is going pretty well, I think. We went to corporate development a few weeks back and our proposal was well-received. Here are a few suggestions...take with a grain of salt, but these are things I have discovered along the way.

1. Contact your ward councillor(s). They may give you some insight into why there is an anti-poultry bylaw in the first place. Arm yourself with knowledge. Be prepared to have solutions to previous issues. I don't know about you, but for my county it is an election year. My ward councillor has been VERY attentive! Get a feel for how you think your proposal will go over. If you make a good case, you will have a champion for your cause in the chamber.

2. Learn about local politics. Again, your ward councillor should give you guidance here. We went to corporate development, not council. Contact your county clerk to get on the agenda. You will be required to submit a letter along with any other materials you will be presenting at least a week in advance. Of you can't get the clerk, call the legal department. After you present at corporate, the councillors will vote. They can shut you down right away, or vote to pass it on to legal etc. for examination. After you present, all councillors are allowed to ask you questions. Be prepared and knowledgeable!

3. Consider aligning yourself with an official group. Your county poultry and pet stock association is a good place to start. Even 4-H, or a private citizens group will give you more solidity up there. When we went, we had the board members of the poultry association and 4-H present.

4. I would remove anything about selling eggs or compost. In Ontario, there are major legal implications with regards to that. Regulations are changing.

5. Anticipate objections. You need to be able to answer the concerns of nay-Sayers. Think about manure, noise, bio security, size of flock, disposal of dead animals, coop placement etc.

6. Keep it simple. Consider the "adoption" of a bylaw, not the creation of a new one. Keep terms simple. What it sadly may come down to is cost to the county. Drafting complicated bylaws is expensive; adopting amendments is simpler and cost effective. We found a simple bylaw and proposed and adoption of an amendment similar to that. I can post that bylaw if you want. At first, simplicity is best!

Good luck to you! If you want any of the materials I have been using, just ask! I hope this is somewhat useful to you.
So would it be better to propose to amend the current pet bylaw to include chickens instead of creating a new one? I do know why the law is in place and it wasn't the chickens but a bad keeper which is why I added the inspections, only mentioned egg birds and permits

In our case we were advised to adopt an amendment rather than create a whole new bylaw. If you look at you local bylaws you will see a main bylaw followed by acceptances and amendments. Our bylaw was changed some years ago because of a irresponsible keeper as well. We decided that being a member of the local poultry association was a prerequisite to keep chickens in our amendment. That way, our board would do inspections if problems were to arise, and members must attend meetings as well. At the meetings we discuss husbandry and share information about all things chicken. This takes the pressure off of animal control and the bylaw office as well as ensures that more dedicated enthusiasts are the ones keeping birds. We are trying to make it as easy as possible and as low cost as possible for the county.

Back
Top Bottom