Help with dull colour in Gold Laced Orpington

steynig

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Hi,

I need help, I purchased this hen a while ago and cannot figure out why her lacing is brown. Is it in fact a chocolate laced which I doubt, or a bad blue laced?

Anyone willing to guess what the cause of this dull colour can be?

A photo of a Gold Laced chocolate Orpington of Essex Orpingtons, are they different in colour or is mine perhaps a gold laced chocolate too?

Perhaps a test on my Chocolate orpington rooster is needed, if the cockrels hatched are chocolate and not black, then she is probably a chocolate laced. And then to double check, ill mate her with a black orpington just to verify that no dull coloured cockerels are born...

A photo of a Gold Laced chocolate Orpington of Essex Orpingtons, are they different in colour or is mine perhaps a gold laced chocolate too?

Perhaps a test on my Chocolate orpington rooster is needed, if the cockrels hatched are chocolate and not black, then she is probably a chocolate laced. And then to double check, ill mate her with a black orpington just to verify that no dull coloured cockerels are born...

I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if this "test" is the true test? I have a trio of GL's that have no black toning or even blue on them. But the chocolate is very apparent. We've hatched about a dozen chicks out of them and all have been a shade of chocolate from cinnamon to a darker brown with 1 blue chick being born this weekend. None have hatched black or have grown in any feathering that is black or blue. We've got chicks up to 4 weeks old now and their just getting lacing in their wings around 2 weeks. I've taken a chocolate hen and put it under the GL roo and their offspring is hatching looking like a chocolate chick (light and milky but with a hint of brown) but darkening within the first day to a dark chocolate. Going to grow these chicks out to see what they end up as anyhow but I'm curious

I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if this "test" is the true test? I have a trio of GL's that have no black toning or even blue on them. But the chocolate is very apparent. We've hatched about a dozen chicks out of them and all have been a shade of chocolate from cinnamon to a darker brown with 1 blue chick being born this weekend. None have hatched black or have grown in any feathering that is black or blue. We've got chicks up to 4 weeks old now and their just getting lacing in their wings around 2 weeks. I've taken a chocolate hen and put it under the GL roo and their offspring is hatching looking like a chocolate chick (light and milky but with a hint of brown) but darkening within the first day to a dark chocolate. Going to grow these chicks out to see what they end up as anyhow but I'm curious
So now how did it go for you?

Back
Top Bottom