1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with egg eater!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BuzzinBee, Jan 28, 2011.

1. BuzzinBee

BuzzinBee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi all.... here's my story:

Was given 4 bantams (2 hens, 2 roos) last fall. Raised 3 NHreds from chicks also last year. Put the 2 groups together and they have been fine in a good size coop for the winter. Problems is... the reds are beginning to lay eggs (got 3 fine intact eggs.. no cracks), but then yesterday noticed the bantams eating eggs and the same thing happened today. Do egg eaters.... need to be removed from the flock? Can I trim the bantams beaks?? Any solutions to make them stop? Thanks in advance!

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I would remove the egg eaters from the flock. The others will pick up on the egg eating. It is a hard habit to break, but can be done. I don't think beak trimming will do anything and can be uncomfortable for the bird. Do a search on egg eating and there are a bunch of things you can try. I had an egg eater and was able to break her of the habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by