Help with egg size and recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by IonaFarm, Aug 1, 2010.

1. IonaFarm

IonaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    I was told that most recipes are based on large eggs unless otherwise listed. Right/wrong?

I have two dozen bantam cochin eggs. I guess they would be considered tiny. They are smaller then a store bought small.

So how many bantam eggs do i use in place of one large? There the cutest little things but I don't want to waste them.

Anyone have experience with this or a chart?

Thanks so much for the help.[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. tropicalchicken

tropicalchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    I have one bantam amongst my 29 hens, and I love her eggs the best. She has the most consistent firm, dark yolks, but she tries to go broody after laying about eighteen eggs.

I always use her eggs if I have them, usually two to one. But it depends on what I am cooking. Like a cake that calls for three eggs I would use at least four of hers, if it is brownies asking for one egg, I use two eggs. But I am pretty good at just winging it when it comes to pulling things together.

Boy that probably did not help much, but you do get a feel for it. It is kind of like getting double yolks from my large hens, when I use them I cut back a bit, you just kind of do what feels right ,it gets easier as you use these eggs more.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I agree about the amount of egg. It just has to be close. Most recipes will work with a little more or a little less. Imps chart is a good guideline.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have an inexpensive digital scale from Walmart and I just put a bowl on the scale, 0 the scale out. Break the eggs into the bowl on the scale and weigh them. 1 large egg is 50 grams.

6. IonaFarm

IonaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks everyone! The a copy if the chart is going in my cookbook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by