Help with Fan

josh

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
I just got a fan to put in my still air bator. when I look at the front of the fan the air flow is coming out the back. I have wired it different ways and it will only work one way and blow the air out bacK any suggestions or is this how a computer fan works??

you should be able to reverse the wires and make it work the other direction. or if its a flat square computer fan just flip it over.
What are you wiring it with? I use an old charger for cell phones.

mine did the same thing just put it in that way and if there is a metal cover take it off and put it on the other side .....thats what i did

Quote:
Uniden AC/Adapter
Input 120V
output 9V

It was for a cordless phone charger

My Fan has 3 wires

Last edited:
The fan should have a red, and black (your 3rd is white? correct) check the adapter it has 2 wires, black and maybe black with a white stripe.

put black from adapter to black on fan, and black with stripe from adapter to red on fan. just ignor the 3rd fan wire.
it should work.

Josh, typically speaking for wiring... if you have three wires, there is a black and two other colored wires. Black is universal for ground. Try switching the other colored wires. White is another alternative color for ground if you don't have a black in the trio. Hope that this helps.

The third wire is a speed sensor/controller used by the PC. Most PC fans work happily without this wire, cut it off. Some, however, run erratically when they don't have an input on the 3rd wire.

I solved that problem on one of mine by breaking the heat sensor that could be seen poking out from the fan body.

Others have not suffered this way.

KK

Would you kindly cite your references as to where you learned the black wire is universal for ground? And that sometimes the white is used when there is no black?

At least here in OH, that kind of misinformation could burn your house down.

Black = hot
White = neutral
green or bare = ground

lol .....

Not likely in this case, but a good point nontheless.

On a low voltage fan the crossing the hot and return will simply make the fan run backwards. The 3rd wire is a sensor, and shorting it will have no ill effects.

BUT THE VERY GOOD POINT is that before we give advice, especially electrical advice ....

GET IT RIGHT

ps .... PC fans often have Red, Black and a third wire. In this instance, black is the return and red is hot ... but it's 12V, not 120V. Kinda doesn't matter because polarity only controls fan direction, and either can be used depending on circumstances.

The white is the ground on this one it is not needed to run the fan. It has a red and a black. I wired it to a cell phone chareger with red and black and it still will only run one way no matter how it is wired. It either runs backwards or not at all. I am going to mount it upside down and let it run. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom