Help with gender please.

stlcards

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Missouri
Here are pics of a few of my birds that trying to figure out if they're pullets or cockerels.

#1, Lavender Americauna, biggest of the 5 siblings, 6 weeks old (last one is a tail shot, he ducked his head)

#2 Lavender Americauna, 6 weeks old

#3 EE (Lav. Am roo/Light Brahma hen)

#4 Silver Laced Polish

Also, in the last pic you can see 2 SL Polish. They are from the same hatch, but 1 is literally 1/2 the size of the other. They're both 3 1/2 weeks old. Any tips or advise? I guess the easiest thing would be to cull it, but I'm not sure if it'll catch up. His legs and toes are also a little deformed. It's pigeon toed and the ends of its toes curl all crazy.

Ameraucanas are notoriously difficult to sex when young, so I'm not even going to guess at those. One of the best ways to get an idea is to look at the combs--one row of peas is a pullet, three rows of peas is a cockerel.

Your EE is a cockerel. Look at that pink comb, and the red feathers coming in on the shoulders. Classic EE cockerel feather patterning.

Based on what sunshine said I have them figured out. This is the only 1 I don't know about. It does have some small peas on the sides of the main row, but they are tiny. Nothing like the other cockerels in this batch, those are clearly defined with 3 rows. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcards
Also, in the last pic you can see 2 SL Polish. They are from the same hatch, but 1 is literally 1/2 the size of the other. They're both 3 1/2 weeks old. Any tips or advise? I guess the easiest thing would be to cull it, but I'm not sure if it'll catch up. His legs and toes are also a little deformed. It's pigeon toed and the ends of its toes curl all crazy.

The reason that one of the SL Polish is smaller than the other could be that one is a bantam and the larger SL Polish is a large fowl.

Last edited:
Looks to me like a cockerel who is tending toward rosecomb. Don't know if that's permitted with that breed. Maybe it's a mix. But either way it looks male.

Based on what sunshine said I have them figured out. This is the only 1 I don't know about. It does have some small peas on the sides of the main row, but they are tiny. Nothing like the other cockerels in this batch, those are clearly defined with 3 rows. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

I agree, this one is a cockerel. Ameraucana pullets won't have pink in their combs until they are at point of lay--and their combs aren't that wide, either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom