Help with going into the coop PLEASE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelly1982, Jun 11, 2016.

1. shelly1982

shelly1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2015
    I have three young pullets just about to start laying but they won't go into the coop at night. They're pen is predator proof but I'd rather they go inside. I also have three 1 year Olds who are very clicky with each other and don't really mix with the new ones. They roost on the top of the coop instead of inside. Now I'm worried they won't go inside to lay either. Any ideas? I thought about putting something on top that's scary so they won't go there at night. I'm in CA by the way so it's too hot to lock them iI. Thanks

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

they probably aren't used to going into the coop at night, put them in the coop and shut them in there a few times and they should get the idea

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Herd them in just before dark so they can still find the roosts..They will catch on...They all have not become one flock yet. Takes time.

4. Janie hall

Janie hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Has anyone heard of this. My chicks are all about 11 weeks old, they go in the coop around 830ish but only if i leave the light on. I just went out to lock em up and they r all sitting on the ramp to go into pen as soon as i turn on the light the all ca!e running n and got up on their perch[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes. Chickens are attracted to light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by