help with guinea fowl

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I got 4 guinea fowl on July 20. They all got along great. I really need help in trying to identify which is female and which is male. I know I have at least one female as I have gotten a total of 3 eggs in the last three days.

Problem: All of a sudden today, the Picture called "hurt Guinea", was standing on top of their hideaway and started chasing the white guinea labled in the picture as "fighter". I took him out (the hurt guinea dark colored one). I put him back in about a 1/2 hour later the the roles changed. The white one called fighter started after the labeled hurt guinea, who initially was the instigator. I also have a picture of all the three together that aren't fighting. chasing and chasing and chasing until the black one in the box tried to hid, the white one deliberately sought out to hurt.

Can someone help me in identifying the sex. I think the one in the box labeled hurt guinea is a male...and not quite sure of the three together now. I have the hurt one separated and put him/it in the chicken area. I know females can fight, but if I have two males and two females I can change the housing situation, but I can't tell. For sure the white fighter one has that long tail hanging down. The hurt one I grabbed and his tail feathers came out.. Please help

All three

fighter male???

more all three currently together

hurt one that I think is a male (have two white and two grey) this one separated.

Last edited:
I would say the two fighting are both males as females dont really attack each other. Its best to go on youtube and listen to the diffent sounds they make, thats the only way to be 100% accurate. Once you familiarise youreslf with the distinct noises its pretty easy. Males do typically have bigger wattles. Getting some more females helps with any aggression males have towards each other or get rid of one of the males. Good luck

The females have a 2 syllable call...come home come home! And the males one syllable.

you have more males in your flock,which will lead to serious fight always especially during the start of laying season.
We have a flock of 22 guineafowls, about 15 are hens and 7 are cocks.
our guineas are like our young ones, i' only tell the sex by looking the shape of their body with females having a lower body that hangs close to the ground and usually short tails. But that can be hard for you unless you listen to their calls.

Once a male guinea reach its adult hood,he becomes aggressive torwards other birds. And if the are few females in a flock, you will be surprised by bloodied coks with missing feathers.
To help minimuz the fight,you need more hens in your flock than males. And once the are many hens, the Boys become nicer,cool. They only fight to win a female and if the hen doen't feel happy, she may not breed and you will not get eggs or keets.

best wishes

Back
Top Bottom