Help With hatching eggs

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
My husband and I just got into the call ducks. Everyone keeps asking to buy our eggs. We have no idea how to check their fertility rate or how to even package them to ship them. We just bought our first incubator 2 weeks ago and are attempting to hatch some ourselves. We have no clue how to do anything with eggs so can someone please help. We don't want to sell bad eggs or package them wrong if we do decide to sell.
Thanks,
B&B

Last edited:
Find someone close by who can incubate your eggs to test their fertility...
If it works you can start selling them.

For shipping, you need to carefully bubble wrap each egg separately, then put them in the center of more bubble wrap, or some other stuffing that will hold them still and secure in the box. You don't want them to be bouncing around any more then they need too.

Ohh, and if you send me some eggs, I'll incubate them and let you know if they are fertile or not.
big_smile.png

You can crack the eggs open and look for the "bullseye". On the yoke of the egg you will see a small dot or circle. If the egg is fertile it will have a small center dot and a ring around it. You can probably do a google search and find a picture of it. When you crack the egg if the bullseye doesn't come out on top you just gently turn the egg with spoon until you can see it. I've never tried it but you could use a store bought as an example for a non fertile to comapre to your eggs.

On the packing this is how we do it and we have shiped many many eggs all over the country. We use only standard size boxes- You can get free boxes from eaby or the USPS shipped to you. We use the #7 box for a dozen eggs and the flat rate box for 1/2 dozen.

two layers of large bubble wrap on the bottom
layer of packing peanuts
each egg wrapped in small bubble wrap- one 12" x 12" sheet per egg
peanuts all around the eggs, pack so the eggs can't shift or move
layer of peanuts over the eggs
two layers of large bubble on the top
seal and ship.

Steve in NC

Hi this is josh if you want pics on how to pack and ship eggs.

There is a wepbage you can go to.

It is backwoods poultry farm. It is a Marans webpage
it shows in full detail pics and a description on how to package and ship eggs. I hope this is a help

When shipping eggs I send the freshest eggs possible
what ever eggs are layed within 24-48 hours.

you have to send them fresh because it takes a few days to get to their destinations. from what I herd, eggs are only good for about 7 days maximum .Thats when your fertility levels start to drop.

So if you want good feedback send them fresh.

Back
Top Bottom