help with hatching guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by razorbackturtle, Mar 22, 2015.

1. razorbackturtle

razorbackturtle New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Hi all

Ive been having a disastrous time hatching guinea eggs. This is the 3rd time im hatching eggs from the only pair we have and 3 times we were disappointed. The keets always end up not pipping or with splay legs (even after we lay down a sand paper), or with a twisted neck. We hatch them artifically with our turkey eggs and we have had very good results with the turkeys. 99.5 degrees and 60% humidity until the last 3 days which i increase to around 70%. At first i thought it may be the parents are still new but now i m suspecting poor genes. Both parents are strong n healthy. Appreciate any comments. .thanks.

2. mommaguinea

mommaguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the pair too closely related?
    Your setting s seem fine- you might want to put rubber shelf liner instead of sandpaper- or cotton towling. I recommend you get some other eggs from an npip breeder and hatch them out, bringing new genetics to your flock. good luck! - I do sell eggs in season, in case you have interest.

3. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Try it with less humidity next time. Guineas are ones that I dry hatch often with humidity levels at around 40% (depending on the weather) during incubation and 60% at hatching.
    Aprille

4. ccstar800

ccstar800 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    You might have a pair that are too closely related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by