Help with hatching!!

I don't normally use antibiotics (have been largely organic for years) in fact I don't even keep them in the house. But I won't let any animal get sick or be in pain just so I can say no drugs. And I do totally agree over use is a huge problem. I only asked because you mentioned not absorbing yolk sacks and in doing more research antibiotics seem the first action most take. I would rather not use them, and Giant Tiny (had to have a name
smile.png
) looks good, Is eating well, walking better, and no distended belly. Although he doesn't regulate temp as well as the others.
" and in doing more research antibiotics seem the first action most take."

Again , you seem wise and obviously realize the possible bad consequences of using antibiotics indiscriminately, if you will.
Not sure about the research you've done but if done totally online please just consider the source.
I just see so many people saying give it antibiotics, give it antibiotics .

When you mention "he doesn't regulate temp as well as the others",
is he having a hard time keeping warm ?

Last edited:
The chicks are living in the potting room attached to the greenhouse and when I clean the pen I like the little guys to run out from under the heat lamp. Now right under the lamp a thermometer reads 100f with room to get cooler if they want, the greenhouse is around 89-90f and the chicks LOVE running and playing but even with it that warm Tiny will start to shiver and ask to be picked up and cuddled. Since none of the others have that problem I thought maybe he was having trouble regulating temps I haven't checked with a thermometer thou. Anyhow he looks really good now and is gaining on his brother fast (one brother and his sister went to a new home on Saturday. I'll get new pics tomorrow
smile.png

The chicks are living in the potting room attached to the greenhouse and when I clean the pen I like the little guys to run out from under the heat lamp. Now right under the lamp a thermometer reads 100f with room to get cooler if they want, the greenhouse is around 89-90f and the chicks LOVE running and playing but even with it that warm Tiny will start to shiver and ask to be picked up and cuddled. Since none of the others have that problem I thought maybe he was having trouble regulating temps I haven't checked with a thermometer thou. Anyhow he looks really good now and is gaining on his brother fast (one brother and his sister went to a new home on Saturday. I'll get new pics tomorrow
smile.png

It prob. is a good idea to supplement them ( especially Giant Tiny ) with some vitamins and electrolytes for a couple of weeks, in the water is fine.
Also should you decide to give him antibiotics you would want to follow up with some probiotics.
Perhaps a good idea to go ahead with the probiotics now too , antibiotics or not .
Some vit. and electrolyte supps. will also have those included in them.
Look forward to the new pics...glad to hear he is catching up for !
Hope he will be ok ( both him and his brother ) for if not and something happens to one or the other you will be left with one lonely heartbroken chick.
sad.png

Last edited:
The chicks are doing fine but my camera isn't
hit.gif
All my babies get electrolytes for the first ten days, and he's definitely not getting antibiotics! Thou the probiotics are a good idea!! I love them for calves. Today they spent half an hour playing in the greenhouse and ate ten meal worms each.

I incubated 4 eggs, one hatched almost 2 weeks ago, the others show no signs, but they haven't started smelling. What should I do?

I'm still waiting for 3 emu eggs to hatch buti'm losing faith quickly. My Dundee is awesome though!

Back
Top Bottom