help with hen issue

mrsqp10

Hatching
Aug 26, 2023
ok...hoping I can get some advice - tried the first time this happened a few weeks ago, but no one replied...PLEASE can someone give me an idea of what's going on and what to do. I have 3 Speckled Sussex with LOTS of thick fluffy BUTT feathers. I noticed one a few weeks ago with lots pulled out and white stuff and poop hanging out of her butt area. We caught her and cleaned with warm water (hard - it was dried and stuck), but got most and TSC said to spray with BLUKOTE which we did. She got better. Today I notice One of the others with some feathers hanging off and we thought we'd better check it out. Caught her and pulled up the tail feathers and lots of dried up stuck on poop again. So hard could only get some off, sprayed the Bluekote. The other looked ok, but caught her too and she had a large poop dried and stuck, could barely get any off, so sprayed and let go. The original hen seems to be ok. We have had these girls for over 3 years and no problems - why is this suddenly happening? How do we get this off and keep it off? HELP...

When did you last deworm your flock?
What exactly are you feeding them including all treats?
What are the measurements of your coop and run for how many bitfs?
Do they have frer access to grit and oyster shells full time?

Some chickens don't do the little poop squat like others do, and so get soiled easily having a fluffy but.
To avoid poop getting stuck you can trim back their butt fluff.
Be careful to clean their butts in a timely manner as you want to avoid deadly fly strike.

Sometimes you have to trim those fluffy butts. You can take a fecal sample to your vet to see exactly what parasite you are dealing with and how to treat it. I've noticed a few of my older hens need a bit of extra care with their fluffy butts which may be due to age (just can't groom back there anymore) so I keep the feathers trimmed for them. Also, make sure your coop is clean and dry.

When did you last deworm your flock?
What exactly are you feeding them including all treats?
What are the measurements of your coop and run for how many bitfs?
Do they have frer access to grit and oyster shells full time?

Some chickens don't do the little poop squat like others do, and so get soiled easily having a fluffy but.
To avoid poop getting stuck you can trim back their butt fluff.
Be careful to clean their butts in a timely manner as you want to avoid deadly fly strike.
we have never dewormed....??? How would you know if needed? (They are 4 years old, never any problems..) Their food is the same as always..Watermelon/grapes in the a.m./lettuce and dried worms p.m./ their feed in a mash at dinner. Their coop area is enclosed but is about 20 ft by 12 ft has never changed with dirt and a grass area. dont know what bitfs means. I dont usually give oyster shells, but have them. They are very hard to catch and handle so timely trimming and cleaning is not something we would normally do, afraid of hurting them. Just getting them to check them this time was quite an ordeal - what was the difference with now and the past? How would you know if its the "deadly fly strike"? And how do we get this stuff off them right now???

always..Watermelon/grapes in the a.m./lettuce a
All makes for runny poop
know what bitfs means
Grit is little granite stones they need to process anything else that is fed apart from layer pellets
I dont usually give oyster shells, but have them
They need them free choice in a separate dish.
They are very hard to catch and handle so timely trimming and cleaning is not something we would normally do, afraid of hurting them.
Just grab them off the roost at night to inspect them using a head or flash light. This way you avoid chasing and alienating them.
And how do we get this stuff off them right now???
A nice plastic tub with luke warm water and some dish soap will help to clean their butts.
Dry thoroughly after rinsing.

Back
Top Bottom