Help with ideas for emergency housing....

Redheadedgator

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,
I would greatly appreciate any advice, links, ideas, etc...

I have 3 chicken houses that I realized flooded when we get a lot of rain. I was actually stacking tires waist high and spent most the night trying to get them on high ground a few months ago. We thought we fixed the problem.

I now hear that we are under the gun with this new tropical storm and I have not been able to rebuild the coops like we planned. ( I start a new job next week, which was supposed to fund this project)

I have 3 sets of chickens that can not be put together and I will out of town for 12 hours when most the rain is supposed to hit. I am so worried about them. Can anyone offer some tips on the best way to build them a temporary but DRY house on a very small budget?

Thank you

Three pallets fastened on a U, covered with a tarp, add a 3 foot high run of a 25' long roll of wire fence and top with poultry netting. Served a flock of 10 for about 3 weeks until I could get their cull house finished.

Any chance they could hang in your garage for those rainy 12 hours? You didn't say how large the groups of chickens you have are, but I've made some pretty effective grow out pens with poultry netting, pvc pipe and zip ties. A few tarps on the bottom zip-tied up the sides of the poultry netting contain the shavings and feathers.

:-( If I had a garage!
At this point I am just going to end up making small houses for them to be in for short amounts of time, just so I know they are dry and not underwater. After the storm I can find them a dry spot to be let out.
Now to figure out how to do that!! lol

Back
Top Bottom