1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with integrating new chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ogdenfarms22, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    So I have 5 chicks around 7 weeks old out in the coop. They have been there for a couple weeks. I have my new 4 chicks still in brooder they are around 3-4 weeks old.
    How do I go about integrating the new ones in a couple weeks??
    I have never done this so I want to be prepared.
    Thanks

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have never had a problem integrating chicks this close together. I never tried it any other way but I take the new chicks to the others pen just after dark with a very dim light if one is even needed. The next morning I am there at the crack of daylight to watch. Once in a while one of the older will peck a smaller one but not nothing serious. I have done this many times--because of raising 1000's without a problem.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    Thats a great idea! And very glad to know you have used it many a times! Everything I was finding was for integrating full size chickens with chicks so glad to know I dont have much to worry about with them only being 3 or so weeks apart!

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    In case they don't get along---If you can temporarily divide the coop/run so they can see but not touch each other, that would be ideal. Just in case. There are many forums on integrating newcomers and most people report success with this method.

1 person likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At that age, I'd just do it, and be there for a bit. Perhaps give them some treats. Birds who are eating goodies are too busy to bother their new friends.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]
    My coop is rather large so hopefully that helps too. If I have a problem I'll move the brooder in there so they have a few days of adustment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by