Help with introducing new female to single male chinese button quail?

FloorSugar

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
I have an 18 month old male button quail alone in his cage unfortunately (his missus died) but was wondering about introducing a new female quail or two. Or is it all right to leave him alone, for a bit? He keeps crowing and growling, etc. so don't think he likes it.
Also, do I have to worry about age of new females?
Help please :D

The age really doesn't matter as long as she is breeding age, over 8 weeks. I would place the female in a cage next to the males cage for a full 24-48 hours, so they can see each other and hear each other but not fight. You might even notice they will sleep next to each other at night through the bars. then remove the male and move around your decor then place him back in and add the hen. Be sure to watch for several hours and check often for the first several days to be sure everything is okay. Good luck and he will be much happier with just one hen.

Oh thank you so much! Will definitely try this, because I rather him not be alone. Great suggestion!

oh I forgot to say NEVER add a hen to a males territory without introducing them first. And by moving the decor it wont be his anymore...

Okay, great! Thank you again :) I really could not find much information on this sort of thing, you're a great help! Will put them in separate cages next to each other for 48 hours to be safe; fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom