Help With Keeping Chickens Safe

OK, here are some photos of our chicken coop. Any experienced chicken people, feel free to comment on it and if we need to change some things to keep chickens safe. Got lots of good suggestions already. So any other ideas are welcomed. Heavy duty staples are what is holding down chicken wire. Inside coop area has a door that can be shut and locked to keep anything from getting even inside the coop and then part is closed off as shown in bottom photo with my second grader in it. Thank you.
smile.png

Last edited:
I would do hardware cloth over the chicken wire. At least 3 feet up from the bottom board. Also nail a board over the chicken wire on the top board a crafty raccoon can rip that rough edge of chicken wire pen and make a hole big enough to get into the coop. Chicken wire is probably OK on the top to protect from hawks. If it were me with the predators that I have I would just add 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the chicken wire. Use the washer and screw method to put it on not just staples. Much easier if you get the hex head screws with a washer and a hex head driver to attach to your electric drill or electric screwdriver. They zip right in. The electric fence is good. Picture is of how I attached hardware cloth to cover my windows in my coop. Good luck!

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom