Help with layout of hen-house interior?

twfernandez

Chirping
Mar 24, 2015
Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!

Looking to get some input on the layout of the interior of our hen-house. The floorplan is simple, 10' x 10' square, 4' tall on the south wall, and 5' 6" tall on the north wall, with one 4x4 sticking up through the floor kind of randomly.
big_smile.png
The nest boxes run along either side, and the entire back wall can be opened (pair of doors) for cleaning.
We're still in the framing/design/build stage, but wanting to plan ahead a little. Specifically, thinking about where the roosts would be best placed - should I go with permanent placement with removable roost bars, or portable roosts that I can move around the hen-house, also, how many roosts, and how high?
We're also wondering what your guys' thoughts are on feeder/waterer placement, and any other ideas/tips for the layout of the inside of the hen-house.

This is a very generic "floorplan" - the red boxes highlight the nestboxes, pop-door and the extra 4x4.
We definitely appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

Thanks,
T&S

<whining> the right shift key on my keyboard is still broken!
he.gif
</end whining>
big_smile.png

:) Also, to help with the questions about the roosts, we have 27 chickens at this point - we like the idea of having the roosts on the same level to avoid issues over the "top" roost, but not completely opposed to doing tiered roosts if it works better for the girls in terms of layout/design.

Thanks again!
T&S

@skylavaulter , love love love the 3D - thank you for the insight! I like the wraparound approach a lot - my initial picture(2D, sorry) and post didn't show that the entrance to the nestboxes is 10" off of the floor, and 12" tall, so if I did the roosts above the nest boxes, they would stand approximately 2' 6" above floor level - from what I've seen here, that shouldn't be too high for the girls - additionally, this would allow for us to easily "peek" in on them through the windows, so this is a layout we will strongly consider!

Thanks!
T&S

Back
Top Bottom