Help with lonely duck after mate died

KtandFrances

Hatching
Jun 22, 2023
Hello,

I have had ducks for 10 years, we had five and over the years they have died for various reason. For the last 6 years or so we have had a boy duck Frances and a girl Alice. Today Alice died, and I am really worried about Frances.
I know ducks really need the company of other ducks, and I’m unsure what to do next. We don’t really want anymore ducks, and Frances was my very first duck who I’ve had since he was 2 days old, so I am very very attached to him.
What is the best option in this scenario?
Any advice is really appreciated.
Thank you <3

I am so sorry you lost Alice, it's always so hard especially when you have had them for so long a time.
Since you don't want any more ducks have you thought about placing Frances in a home where he would have other ducks for company? You can go to your state forum and share this and hopefully there will be someone close by that would love to have Frances added to their flock. I'd be hesitant in giving Frances to someone who has other drakes since he is older and that stress might be too much for him. Some states even have rescues here in NC we have Carolina Waterfowl rescue. You might try finding a rescue in your state.
:welcome
Here is where to find your state forum
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/

I am so sorry you lost Alice, it's always so hard especially when you have had them for so long a time.
Since you don't want any more ducks have you thought about placing Frances in a home where he would have other ducks for company? You can go to your state forum and share this and hopefully there will be someone close by that would love to have Frances added to their flock. I'd be hesitant in giving Frances to someone who has other drakes since he is older and that stress might be too much for him. Some states even have rescues here in NC we have Carolina Waterfowl rescue. You might try finding a rescue in your state.
:welcome
Here is where to find your state forum
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/
Thank you so much for your reply! We decided to head out to our local produce on the weekend and get another older female for company. Can’t part with my little man and like you said I thought he might be stressed with lots of new ducks as he’s older and always loved a quiet life with Alice. I appreciate your kind words.

Back
Top Bottom