Help with Molting

ScorpioHen

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
I am still fairly new to BYC and there may be a ton of questions like this already, but I do not know. I have 2 hens, a Lavender Orpington and a Australorp. My Australorp is currently going through a very bad molting and the Orpington is not at all. The Australorp has been so hesitant on everything but when she is walking around, she will walk sideways, almost like a crab, and around the edges of the chicken yard only. She will not walk straight at all and acts like she is protecting her right side. She has been doing this for a few days and I am worried. Is this something to be actually worried about? She is eating, although not as much as normal, and acting fine in all other ways, just the strange walking. She is extremely cautious when she eats and if my other hen goes anywhere within a foot of her, she will walk away....sideways. These are the first chickens I have ever had that actually made it to a molting period, so not sure if this is normal behavior or not. Should I leave her where she is or bring her in and isolate her for a while? They do still sleep in the coop side by side, so I think all is ok there. I am just unsure what to do and what the best for her. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help you can give.

I forgot to say that my hens are 18 months old. I have also been giving her extra protein in the form of hardboiled egg, tuna and dry grubs. Just a little every day because she really does not eat much. She just walks off balance.

Birds all handle molting differently and it's harder on some. They may eat less or look a little out of sorts. Just make sure she can eat and drink without issue (i.e. add additional feeders, spread out) and minimize any handling.

Back
Top Bottom