Help with my 2 yr old duck

Angela901

Hatching
Jun 21, 2023
Jose turned two in May.
Suddenly late Friday afternoon after her day outside, she came to door limping on one foot.
She ate her dinner struggling to keep balance standing. Then sat down. And has been unable to walk since.
We have checked with egg binding- no egg found/felt.
Her diet is good. But provided extra electrolytes (clear Gatorade) and niacin (nutritional yeast on food) just in case.
We are going on day 4 of her not walking or standing.
Her feet are fine. No sores. We did soak her in warm baths and massaged legs. She can move the left one well in water and the right is very lame.
She seems to be eating (less but still good) and pooping way fewer times per day than normal.
We are at a loss what else to do .
This is a house duck-was hatched in incubator. Imprinted on humans. Raise by a Large Lab dog.
Any advice??

Attachments

• E612CCE1-81B2-4A81-8DCA-577C8A895792.jpeg
    E612CCE1-81B2-4A81-8DCA-577C8A895792.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 63
Jose turned two in May.
Suddenly late Friday afternoon after her day outside, she came to door limping on one foot.
She ate her dinner struggling to keep balance standing. Then sat down. And has been unable to walk since.
We have checked with egg binding- no egg found/felt.
Her diet is good. But provided extra electrolytes (clear Gatorade) and niacin (nutritional yeast on food) just in case.
We are going on day 4 of her not walking or standing.
Her feet are fine. No sores. We did soak her in warm baths and massaged legs. She can move the left one well in water and the right is very lame.
She seems to be eating (less but still good) and pooping way fewer times per day than normal.
We are at a loss what else to do .
This is a house duck-was hatched in incubator. Imprinted on humans. Raise by a Large Lab dog.
Any advice??
Will she put any weight on it ?
it’s possible she got injured
Was she playing with the dog ?
Any stairs or higher things she could have jumped off ?

Our dog passed away at Christmas…
There are concrete stairs leading up from the pool. I’m not sure though. She does not indicate that she’s in pain.
But she has always been very active and always under foot following us around. HAs always come to us when we offered food.
And her being completely immobile has been difficult. We have carried her outside to get fresh air each afternoon, but she is only able to sit in the shade. We have picked her up and put her in her baby pool and let her float for a little bit, then dried her off and brought her back in the house. We have run warm bath water and let her get in there in the evening to try to work out her leg muscles. There is not even any effort for her to try to stand up or get to us. When we are used to her ringing the bell on the back door when she wants outside. Now we have just made her a pallet on the floor so she can lay where the people are in whatever room we are in.

Our dog passed away at Christmas…
There are concrete stairs leading up from the pool. I’m not sure though. She does not indicate that she’s in pain.
But she has always been very active and always under foot following us around. HAs always come to us when we offered food.
And her being completely immobile has been difficult. We have carried her outside to get fresh air each afternoon, but she is only able to sit in the shade. We have picked her up and put her in her baby pool and let her float for a little bit, then dried her off and brought her back in the house. We have run warm bath water and let her get in there in the evening to try to work out her leg muscles. There is not even any effort for her to try to stand up or get to us. When we are used to her ringing the bell on the back door when she wants outside. Now we have just made her a pallet on the floor so she can lay where the people are in whatever room we are in.
Are you able to get durvet vitaim B complex
It’s sold at TS or Amazon has it
Give her 1ml daily either by mouth with syringe or on a small treat she will eat all of so she gets the full dose
It helps with legs injuries or low niacin issues
Can you feel both legs compare for swelling or hot spots
Also check the tendon has not slipped at the back of the leg
I have a boy limping that I thought was sore leg and after over a week I finally found the bumble on his foot
His feet are black so it was harder to find
Feel over her feet for any enlarged areas
Is a vet an option ?

@Miss Lydia do you have anymore to add ?

I'd also check around her hip area on the leg that is injured. For her to be laying like that makes me wonder if it isn't in her hip. The only way I know besides just feeling around the area is by comparing both hips for any abnormalities. I agree using the Liquid B complex is a good means of support if there is an injury.

Back
Top Bottom