Help with my back yard flock

VSR

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2023
North Central Texas
I’m relatively new to chickens.. Not sure what is going on, I noticed our bantam roo is looking a little lethargic, got him caught and gave him a look over. His eyes look bubbly? Almost like spit bubbles and his breathing sounded a little raspy. He also hasn’t been crowing. I put nutri-drench in waterer just to give him a little extra boost. It has been very dry and dusty. Am I dealing with some type of disease that’s going to kill my flock? I don’t think it’s any type of worms because about 2 months ago my entire flock got ivermectin and repeated again 2 weeks later but I also have no idea what I’m doing I’m just winging it really and hoping for the best. 😬 we recently had another roo die but we thought it was because he got stuck in a tight spot and we searched everywhere for days for him and finally found him covered in poo and we got him out, cleaned him up, and the next day he passed. Could really use some advice as a vet trip isn’t an option right now. Should I get antibiotics for him? Just watch and hope for the best? I’ve googled and got a million different results all of which are devastating and confusing!

Sounds like it may be Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), the bubbles in the eyes are a common symptom. It's a common respiratory disease, and it's chronic, often referred to as CRD or chronic respiratory disease. You can treat the symptoms, but the bird will always be a carrier and symptoms may return during times of stress. Labs could confirm that if vet care were an option, also can be confirmed by labs at necropsy. If you lose this one, then I would recommend a necropsy so that you know for sure.
More info here:
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/protecting-your-flock-what-you-need-to-know-about-mg-ms/
Necropsy resources by state:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Tylosin powder for the water is sometimes used to treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) That is available online presently from Jedds.com, until most antibiotics will become prescription only. Locally, Tylan 50 injectable may be found in some feed stores, and is given orally.

Sounds like it may be Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), the bubbles in the eyes are a common symptom. It's a common respiratory disease, and it's chronic, often referred to as CRD or chronic respiratory disease. You can treat the symptoms, but the bird will always be a carrier and symptoms may return during times of stress. Labs could confirm that if vet care were an option, also can be confirmed by labs at necropsy. If you lose this one, then I would recommend a necropsy so that you know for sure.
More info here:
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/protecting-your-flock-what-you-need-to-know-about-mg-ms/
Necropsy resources by state:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
I went out today and found him dead. 😭 is the rest of my flock going to catch it and die too? I reached out to a place that does necropsy but I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it right now. Is there a way I can prevent my other from catching it if that’s what it is?

Tylosin powder for the water is sometimes used to treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) That is available online presently from Jedds.com, until most antibiotics will become prescription only. Locally, Tylan 50 injectable may be found in some feed stores, and is given orally.
I went out today and found him dead. 😭 if this is what’s going on is there a way to prevent my ladies from catching it too? Should I treat all of them? I’m kinda lost here! Money is tight until next month so my fingers are crossed no one else gets sick until I get paid again.

A necropsy would be best to know for sure what happened. MG, if that's what it is, is very contagious, your other birds would already have been exposed. All you can do is watch them, see if any show any symptoms in the future. Maybe try to put a little aside when you can so that you can do a necropsy in the future if you lose another one with similar symptoms. Knowing for sure what you are dealing with it makes decision making going forward more informed. With MG, some will cull, wait a period of time, and start over with clean birds. Or along the same lines, have a closed flock, nothing in or out, until they are all gone, wait a period, and then start over. Since symptoms are not always present, it's hard to know at this point for sure, if any of the others already have it.

A necropsy would be best to know for sure what happened. MG, if that's what it is, is very contagious, your other birds would already have been exposed. All you can do is watch them, see if any show any symptoms in the future. Maybe try to put a little aside when you can so that you can do a necropsy in the future if you lose another one with similar symptoms. Knowing for sure what you are dealing with it makes decision making going forward more informed. With MG, some will cull, wait a period of time, and start over with clean birds. Or along the same lines, have a closed flock, nothing in or out, until they are all gone, wait a period, and then start over. Since symptoms are not always present, it's hard to know at this point for sure, if any of the others already have it.
It’s been almost 3 weeks and my flock seems fine and I haven’t had any other issues. Could it still be MG? I have I have 21 chickens and all seem healthy?

I can't tell you with certainty either way. Without a necropsy, it's just guessing. Lots of things make chickens sick and die. MG symptoms often surface during times of stress. If you go a lengthy period of time with no other birds showing symptoms, then maybe it was something else. If you have another bird with respiratory symptoms, and lose it, I would recommend you have a necropsy on that one to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom