Help with my homemade incubator please!

OKay I have always been on the defensive side when people put down the water heater thermostats, IN MY OPINION, the water heater thermostat is good for incubators the size of a cooler, or smaller, BUT I have decided that the wafer thermostats should be used for the fridge and cabinet incubators, I HOPE that this hatch of quail eggs does go well, but after I am done with this batch of eggs in my fridge incubator, I am switching to a wafer thermostat, for the Fridge-bator. But like I said I think it is a waste of money to buy a 25 dollar wafer thermostat for a cooler incubator, but with the cabinet incubators it is necessary.
thumbsup.gif
Good Luck.

Quintinp- I checked out the pics of your homemade gators. Love the coolerbator. Do you prefer the dry method? I didn't see a water pan in ur fridgebator either. Also curious about where u put ur t-stat. Why so close to the lightbulb instead of closer to where the eggs would be? Thanks for answering my questions! You should add chicken guru to your tag!

BY putting the thermostat close to the light bulb will make it cycle faster, here is where I have mine mounted. it is under the lid of the bator, its not any bigger than a cooler but i still use a wafer no matter what.
61634_oooo24.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for teaching the newbie!

I managed to get the temp to hold steady for 24 hours so I went ahead and put two eggs in for a test run. If this doesn't work I'm going to cooler with T-stat set up! I think, based on what ya'll have said that would just make my life a whole lot easier! I've been out checking temps every couple of hours. I have an out of town conference for the next two days and left DH and DD in charge of maintainence and egg turning. I left post-it notes all over with directions for egg care and chicken care! I am such a dork!! I need a smilie with its fingers crossed!
fl.gif
This comes close!

If you can keep the temp & humidty correct you really shouldn't have a problem.But don't be like me on my 1st go and forget about turning for 1 whole day. But luckily they all hatch for me.But you will do just fine.
thumbsup.gif

Hawks just got 2 of my chickens and I couldn't get close enough to scare him into dropping the chickens. Free range just turned into free food for hawks.
hit.gif
They was supposed to pay for them before leaving with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom