1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with my pekin duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kerrylee, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kerrylee

kerrylee New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    I need help. My pekin duck suddenly started acting drunk. She now can not walk without falling over

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. You should definitely post your duck's symptoms on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and take advantage of our duck experts there. Also, I would advise posting her symptoms on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your duck recovers. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has your duck gotten into anything that could have poisoned it? Moldy food could do this also. Please do post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - in full detail. Are any other birds affected? Have you used any new products, sprayed pesticides, fertilizers, weed killers.,rodenticides????

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your duck! I see you posted in the suggested sections. Best of luck and hope you can find a way to help her.

5. kerrylee

kerrylee New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    I did spray an insect killer around the house. But the ducks were noT around it until it had dried. Do u think it could be that or botulism

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your baby. Definitely post this in our emergency and or duck section for more help. I hope she is ok. [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your duck! [​IMG]It does sound like she may have botulism. If that is the case, you need to flush her system to remove the toxins.

One type of flush you can use is the Epsom salts flush. Mix 1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1/2 cup of water, and pour/squirt it down her throat a few times each day until she (hopefully) recovers.

Or, you could try a molasses flush. Mix 1 pint molasses with five gallons of water and give your duck the molasses water for several days.

Good luck! For more answers, I would definitely post in the Emergencies section of the forums.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck!![​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I would definitely post in the Emergencies forum, best of luck to you.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I hope you duck turns out okay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by