1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with new babies please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loupan, Jan 20, 2012.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I just want some advise on the 2 new babies i got yesterday everyone seems to be geting along fine but the wee frizzle and aracanna i think are so skitish nothing like my other chooks ,granted i have had the others from a day old and these are 7 weeks old ,do i just give them time and keep going into coop and sitting with them or should i bring them inside and start handling them all the time im worried they are not going to fit in with the other chics becouse they are so nervous and i mean real nervous ,its only day two of there new home is this just normal please settle my nerves and any advise is greatly received .

2. nicola86

nicola86 Out Of The Brooder

Hi i have bought in chicks before - i am now breeding my own. But it took them around 2 weeks to stop running away from me and the other chicks. Also i have aracannas as well and no matter what i do (even hatching them from eggs) They still hate to be handled. With my other girls i can walk in and pick up to check them over and my aracannas i have to wait till it is dark out.

Good luck :)

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are 7 weeks, yeah, I'd spend more time with them and give them treats. Boiled egg, mealworms... what ever it takes.

Food will win them over.

4. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Thats exactly how it is i have just been out to say goodnight and i picked both the new ones up no bother how starnge is that the aracanna is defo more jumpy and i think it makes the other chicks think what the hell is going on lol, my other chicks i go in and they are staright away wanting to jump on me do you think i should just keep going as i am i realy dont want to have to take them out now and stress them even more

5. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    thanks i will defo try this ;)

6. nicola86

nicola86 Out Of The Brooder

I don't know what the others think but if it was my flock i would leave them in but just spend time with them i.e walking around etc they will soon enough calm down. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by