Help with new coturnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JakeM123, Sep 30, 2013.

1. JakeM123

JakeM123 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    Hi, I am new here and seeking help! (=
    Anyway, about 2.5 weeks ago we bought 17 adult coturnix quail. We bought from a local breeder and picked out each quail. ( 13 females, 4 males) For the first week we got about 10 eggs a day, then week 2 hit. We stopped getting eggs. Now I expected this since we are now getting less then 14 hours of daylight, and have yet to put in lights. However, the quail have started to lose feathers and look very scroungy. I believe the quail have stared molting, but am not sure. Finally, almost every time I am around the pen, 1 quail will seem to freak out, and every other quail will run, hop, fly, and scramble everywhere! Often, a few quail will cut there heads as they leap up! They might do this multiple times when I clean the cage, change water, etc. Now, for the cage. All 17 quail are housed in a pen with wire floor. They are surrounded on 3 sides by wood, with a wire front to look in. The pen is 8' long, 4' wide, and about 2' tall. They get fresh water daily, and 25% protein non medicated feed, and ill throw in oyster shells for extra calcium. I 'll occasionly give boiled eggs and grass, and wild grasshoppers. All the quail act healthy and eat/ drink. They also have 24/7 access to a sand box to dust bath in. I still need to add a light to there cage, but ill get that done before Friday. After reading this, and suggestions? Am I doing this right and the quail are still as adjusting, or should I change something ? Thank you so much, (=

2. JakeM123

JakeM123 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    Bump

3. htownfarmer

htownfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    Houston
    try calling the breeder you bought from. they might have suggestions.
    different feed...
    sounds like you are doing right.
    good luck

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Something tells me they are being scared by a critter in the night, and they aren't sleeping. Which would explain why they were giving you eggs for 10 days.... something found them and has been paying them a nightly visit ever since. If they are outside, do you have access to a game camera? I'm thinking a cat, 'coon or an oppossum is harassing them at night, they wouldn't be sleeping. A dog would bark and you would notice that, but none of the other animals carry on like dogs. During the day when you get to their cage, they may be "napping" and you wake them up and they are jolted awake.
    James

5. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    That's possible, but it's quite possible that they are just scared of humans. My quail don't like to be picked up, and they don't freak out as such but they all move away from me when I enter the aviary. I can see why that's a big issue in a smaller pen like you have, because they will boink and hit the ceiling. You need to either have the roof low enough so that they don't build up momentum, or high enough that they don't hit it, but since yours is already built try attaching foam of some kind to the inside of the roof so that they don't get injured. Look into predators as well, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by