Help with newborn duckling please!

LL

Circle is the umbilicus, arrow is the vent (anus)
LL

Don't feed it anything just yet. It's definitely close to hatch date if the yolk was absorbed. I would put it in a brooder with access to food and water. I would add nutri-drench and brewers yeast to the water. Ducklings are pretty clumsy and weak after they hatch. They've been working hard, and they're exhausted. After it's up and on it's feet, slip it back under mom at night.

We have a male Pekin/female Khaki; the female went broody 22 days ago and we just found a newborn duckling kicked (?) out of the duck house and laying next to its shell in the mud. Blood on inside of shell, but otherwise no blood/yolk. Have it gently wrapped in paper towel, laying on a (warm) hot water bottle with space heater and have had a little success feeding it cooked but liquid egg yolk and water. Has longish looking black feathers. Rocky :) can raise its head a little and peep but hasn't been able to stand up or move around. Should it be able to stand up? What can I do to help this little fighter survive?

I'm sure the anus is fine, what you're seeing might be the umbilicus, so leave it alone! Can you post a picture of what you're seeing?
Thanks; have wiped approx 3x in 7 hrs. so will leave it alone now and see what tomorrow brings. Did see a little black stuff come out the first time i wiped - ? Probably can't get a good picture now; once the duckling dried off the down really fluffed up around it.

LL

LL
Thanks; have wiped approx 3x in 7 hrs. so will leave it alone now and see what tomorrow brings. Did see a little black stuff come out the first time i wiped - ? Probably can't get a good picture now; once the duckling dried off the down really fluffed up around it.
LL

LL
Thank you thank you!!!
We have been wiping the umbilicus and will now leave it alone completely. But I guess we should check the vent tomorrow?

That's great maybe tomorrow offer some water luke warm to start.

If you know how to candle you can take a peek at the eggs when she gets off to see if anything is going on in there.

You have to remember though mama ducks don't accept ducklings the way chickens will accept chicks so if you try to put the duckling under mama she could very well attack it so stay close by in case you have to intervene real quick.
I just tried to give some chicks to a broody EE and she attacked one. So they will be in the house till old enough to go out.

Back
Top Bottom