Help with Pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChcknGrl, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ChcknGrl

ChcknGrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    I wanna get a cat. I have had cats before and still have 2 that run wild. But I don't want my 4 dogs to kill a tame cat. The 2 wild ones aren't around the house as much, so the dogs can't get them. + We have chickens! How do I get the cat good with chickens? We have had a cat that sticks around the house also get killed by the dogs(His name was "Tom" the TomCat.

The Question is....

How do I get the dogs good around a cat. And the cat good around the chickens!

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    well the dogs will kill this cat to and you can't get a cat to like chickens its in them to eat birds and mice all those things

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I doubt that you have the time or expertise to train four dogs that already have a history of cat killing. Far better to spare yourself the loss of a kitten.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agreed. If the dogs have already killed one cat, chances are they will try it again. Either plan to separate the cat and dogs or just forego the idea of another cat to spare yourself the heartache of it getting killed!

5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I wouldnt get another and i sure hope the ones that are out wild have been fixed.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    Oh, Well actually my best friend's cat hangs around the chickens!:) Unbelievable but true.

7. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for the advice

8. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    Thank you chickerdoodle!:)
    We might be able to get an inside cat and TOTALLY separate it from the dogs

9. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    Pandapaws,
    Yes the ones in the wild are great!!! I see them sometimes and they are healthy, happy, and had 2 kittens(That r 4 months or more) plus the dogs can't get them because they r 2 smart and quick

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have never heard of a cat killing a full grown chicken, just the young chicks. But I'm sure it could happen.
    A good rooster can go a long way to training a cat to leave the chickens alone. My neighbors cat is regularly chased out of their chicken yard by the rooster. When the rooster is otherwise occupied the cat will sneak in and eat the chicken feed. One squack from a hen and the cat flees in terror with a fury of feathers on his tail ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by