1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with plywood walls

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rin, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I'm building an 8x8 chicken coop and I'm not sure what I can do about the gaps between the 4x8 plywood boards I am using as my exterior walls before painting everything. I know plywood needs to be able to expand but this just looks horrendous. Is there some sort of tape or caulk for this purpose? Something I can get smooth and paint over for a nice uniform look? What do you guys use?

2. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California
    You could put some trim pieces over it and give it the board and batten look.

On houses you would put house wrap over the plywood, and tape the seams of the house wrap. Then put siding over the house wrap. Not sure you want to go through that much trouble ($) for a coop, though.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I like the trim board idea redriver suggested. Will give the seam a nice finished look!

4. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Blegh, I was worried you were going to say that. Hopefully it looks better in reality than my mind is making it. XD Thank you so much for the help <3

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think it would look good. If you use a 1x4 trim for corners, top and seam it would be a nice uniform finished look.

Something to keep in mind for any future builds on coops, sheds or what have you is to use a ship lapped exterior siding in lieu of plain plywood. The ship lap combined with the grooved sheathing makes for a seamless finish.

Here's a composite T1-11 primed to show you what I mean. Comes in wood too, just couldn't find a 1/2 inch piece at Home Depot's site.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=-1&keyword=t-1-11&storeId=10051#.USoTlWeANkU

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Sadly they don't carry anything like T1-11 in my area, that was actually the first thing I tried for. But its okay because in the end I wound up wood carving two massive crowing roosters in each side of my coop and that might not have looked as good for doing so as plywood does. I plan to do 1 1/8 in weather proof corner molding on each corner after painting the sides. Below is a picture of my coop right now (and don't worry I also plan to trim the roof boards back under the roof panels... just really need to get my birds outside and get everything weather proof asap before spring gets here)

[​IMG]

7. wantedman66

wantedman66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    connecticut
    That would work good,egghead is right but also have to consider cost,how much you willing to spend.I have the t1-11 on part of my coop it is very durable and will last a long time,the 1-4" will work

8. wantedman66

wantedman66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    connecticut
    That's a nice job,I would defiantly paint it though

9. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I plan to, I just need to do something about the cracks between the plywood sheets first XD

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Vertical 1x material will work on the joints as previously mentioned.
    Seal the plywood as soon as possible. Once it gets saturated with water it will de laminate. (unless it is treated cca,)
    Caulk is not going to solve your problem.
    Cracks opens with weather. (high end Vulcam or silicone will work but expensive)
    I would paint or stain, seal joint with silicone or Rubber tape BT20, protecto wrap, what ever you have locally,then cover the joint with 1x material. corners and window picture frame with 1x.
    Or cover with salvaged horizontal siding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by