Help with prefab coop please?

Yes!! I can definitely do that! Wait, I can do that right? Like you mentioned, @Evelyn's Mom just pick it up at night? I'm inexperienced and don't want to screw anything up so I put food and water inside and outside of the coop just in case they get hungry or thirsty at night. They don't go in their coop til it's bed time, they spend time in the run and supervised free range because I own cats that just can resist licking they're lips while watching the chicks play :drool my pullets are a Barred Rock and a Welsummer, and the chicks are EE, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Buff Orpington. And the older ones do try to bully the babies right now, they play separately. I thought it would get better as the babies grew into larger pullets?
They should all be sleeping and can't see well anyway in the dark, so they do not need food and water at night.

I’m sure some people would hammer me over the head for saying it but yes.
I am now down to 4 chickens (1 passed away and 1 was a persistent broody hen that’s living her best life -like oprah! Except her name is dory and she’s hatching babies at a nearby librarian’s house)
So now, the roost is more than 50% empty when I check on them after I take the dogs out to peepee. They are snuggled close even in hot weather.
I have a coop page if you want to look at it. I think there’s something on or around my avatar that takes you there.
I need to update that we changed the roost again to a 2x4 on the wide surface.
You’ll see the “roost” discussion on these boards all the time.
I swear, my chickens sleep like ROCKS since we made this change. Also with a suspended roost there’s more floor space.
When I reread my answer and explaination I mean “yes” meaning in agreement with you that it *might be fine.
Personally, I’d take a wait and see approach and see how things work out in the next month or so.
It’s not like you have winter weather blowing in soon. Lol.

You’ll also have to figure out where you’ll put the nesting boxes. They do take up space, but there are ways to use space efficiently.
And in my opinion you don’t need more than 2 with your size flock. Sometimes I have two. Sometimes 3. #3 is always completely ignored.
#2 is rarely disturbed.
#1 is the hot spot apparently!
Honestly, no one wants to use ANY nesting box except that one.
I have no idea why this is.
Sometimes there’s a line and whatever the ones standing in line are saying to each other about the one taking her sweet time in the nest, does NOT seem to be complimentary in the least.
Aww I'm sorry for your loss :( and lol "like Oprah" your chickens are lucky, I checked out your set up it's beautiful! And I love the story :love
Are your roosting bars different than what you have in the pictures?
Also, the coop i have does come with ONE nesting box , the kind that is a box outside the coop. I believe it's like yours but a single nest, should I add more?

Can you keep your feed and water some place else? If your dimensions are right you have 2sq ft per bird (you're technically only supposed to count floor space) which in your climate should be just fine as long as they aren't confined to the coop all day long.
This looks like a better prefab than most.
What breeds of chickens do you have?
Sensible post.
I keep 4 or 5 in a similar sized coop. They free range in the day.
I don't think keeping food in the coop is a good idea. It encourages rodents.

Back
Top Bottom